M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

For the last 6 months I've been looking for a .308 battle rifle to round out my collection. I wanted a 16-18" barreled gun which would also maintain reasonable accuracy. I looked into a 16" DSA FAL, and had actually come to an agreement to purchase one until the events of the last month caused the seller to withdraw from the sale, then re-offer the gun, upping his price $600.

Needless to say this led me back to the drawing board. I did more research and learned the shorty DSA's average between 2-4 MOA. For the money they fetch I wanted better.

I had owned a SOCOM 16 a few years ago but was not impressed with the accuracy and sold it. I began researching how to improve the accuracy if I should find a good deal on another one. Information about the SAGE chassis system seemed promising, then I read about the precurser to the MK14 Mod 0, the Rock SOPMOD. What I read about these guns was very impressive, but they were essentially unobtanium as only 35 were made.

Low and behold I found one, and picked it up for what I consider a very reasonable price, especially in the current market. It is fitted with a sleeve for an Ops Inc. 12th model suppressor (which is my next quest). All in all this should make for one interesting deer / hog rifle!

With the stock collapsed, it is shorter than my M4

The rifle's primary optic is a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5x10 x 40,
but it wears an offset Trijicon RMR for close in work.

I have not done any load development, but on the first outing it was holding 0.95" groups at 100 yards. I'm sure this will improve.

Here is a shot of the barrel markings.

The modified op rod which allows for the offset piston.

Just some shots of the modified gas system, and the block which allows
for the barrel and gas system to be free floated.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
anyway you could post more pics in full size?

·
Registered
530 Posts
The cool meter is in the red! Nice pick up! I've never heard or seen anything like that before. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had a request to show the front of the gas system, so here goes. The piston is rotated about 30 degrees so the piston pushes directly in line with the op rod handle. The spring retainer is in its normal location, but protrudes past the piston, allowing the shorter gas system.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How does one go by acquiring such a weapons system?
I found one webpage which through another person's efforts, the whereabouts of 22 of the rifles was known. These are very rare. Only 35 made (two are in the possession of Hollywood studios. See Mr. and Ms. Smith, 24, NCIS).

In my web searches I have found records of 4 sales of these rifles since 2007. One was over 5K. One was Law483's rifle for $3750. The rifle I purchased was sold twice, once to the fellow I purchased it from, and when I purchased it. I was not able to find another sale of this weapon system for the purpose of determining market value.

I plan on making some videos showing the disassembly, and detailing the modifications as well as documenting the history I have learned. I will also make some videos of the rifle in action.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts