M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have a Troy MCS on my M1A, and I'm having an issue with my top rail alignment. Windage is pretty close to zero, but I'm way out of alignment on elevation. This wouldn't be an issue, except it's out of alignment in the wrong direction.

Are there any experienced hands here who might have some advice? Should I just contact Troy?

TLDR Details

Setup: SA M1A with National Match barrel, using your standard EOTech 512.

What I've done so far:

When I first assembled my setup, it was far more than off on elevation. I didn't do the math or boresighting at that time to figure out by how much.

I've since disassembled and reassembled the whole setup according to the instructions. This helped, but didn't entirely fix the issue.

For boresighting: I found the center of my EOTech's range of adjustment. Sight height above bore is very close to 3 inches. Boresighting at 25 yds, point of aim was about 4-5 inches above where the boresight hit.

I took it to the range to zero it at 100yds with some M80 ball surplus. It took ~28 X 1/2 MOA clicks to get it zeroed in. So I'm hitting about 14 MOA low with the EOTech at center of adjustment. 3" sight height + ~2" bullet drop (http://www.gunshopfinder.com/springfield-m1a-ballistics.html) accounts for 5 MOA. So my top rail is about 9 MOA out of whack. What can I do to fix this? I guess I could just live with it for now and get a sloped scope mount when I scope this rifle in the coming year, but I'd really rather have a properly aligned top rail.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Don't know much about the troy but dmansfield had a thread going about the same issue with elevation and rail can't. Look him up maybe he can help

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks y'all for the suggestions!

Looks like dmansfield moved his mount forward to correct the elevation issue. I tried that with my EOTech to no avail this last time out.

Looks like I have another disassembly/reassembly ahead of me, and possibly some minor shimming. Since my first post I have some new ideas to play with. If I get it figured out, I'll try to gather together plenty of photos and put together a how-to on adjusting a Troy build to get the top rail aligned properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts