M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after some bedding I finally got the troy MCS to lock up tight with no zero shift.

I put devcon steel bedding in the area where the stock meets the rear sight area and I drilled and tapped a steel piece that fits in the stripper clip guide, then bolted it to the stock as an extra mounting point , all bolts are red locktite

shoots 1.5 - 1 3/4 with German Military surplus, gun actually shoots tighter as the barrel warms up.
had fun shooting out to 400 Meters on steel all 1st round hits

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It looks good. What kind of scope are you using? I have to go along with Zardoz, red Locktite maye present problems down the road.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
leupold mk4 TMR
red is no problem if you heat it when taking it apart, I normally use a soldiering iron for that

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Nice setup! I've had a Troy MCS on my shelf for about a year and haven't installed it on one of my rifles yet. I think it's going to go on either my SAI scout or my 7.62 scout. Just have to find the time to put it together. I have been slowly picking up the accessories like BUIS, MagPul low front grip. I stole the fixed stock that I'd put on it onto the 6.8SPC AR that I built recently................................

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shiny scope, too much harder in the duracoat, will re do it next week with ultra flat

·
Registered
59 Posts
great initiative and way to think outside the box,...

let me ask you as I just mounted my loaded M1A in the Troy;

How were your groups prior to this mod?

Was your group size the only indicator of a problem , or was there any perceptible looseness in the chassis also?

mine just went together bt I have yet to go back through and blue loctite and carefully tighten everything .

Thanks, and good work!

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have yet to go back through and blue loctite and carefully tighten everything .
Definitely remember to go back and do that. I didn't have any when I assembled mine - also thinking that I wanted to get it all fitted before I locked it down. Then weeks went by before I could get time for the range and I forgot. My gun shakes everything loose if the threads don't have a little dab of Loc-Tite on them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
well i finally shot the new mcs setup ---after blue loctiting all the screws i still experienced the wandering zero.

looking at the screws that go into the rear sight base...they have conical heads and only make contact on a knife edge inclined plane ----could it be designed any better to loosen upon recoil!?!?!?

i used my xx coarse DMT diamondstone to reduce the width on those screw heads and get them to turn in deeper . i also red loctited them.

i will have to find my old stripper clip guide and bring it to a machinist to get it tapped to do the OP's mod .

i guess troy used screws like that to ensure universal fit with different recievers ---but there is too much dead space between the shaft of those screws and the rear sight base's holes.

"upgraded" a few parts also ---schuster vented and bored non adjustable gas plug ---turned my gun into a bolt action#%%^@!!

---it is out of spec [0.709"-0.712"] @ 0.743"
from the torque shoulder to the end.

the gas cylinder is lined up right with the barrel's gas port.

on the other hand the BABC battlecomp on a delta P adapter erased the recoil down to barely above 556 levels GI5---no bull.

i hand timed it without shims using the above mentioned xxcoarse diamond stone.

I'll post back here when i get the mod done...--Hope the OP doesn't mind --thanks for the great idea.

now to find out what threads to match the rail?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.