M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the Troy Battlerail installed on my M1A Scout and mounted the Nikon M-308. When attempting to zero the sight, the elevation turret bottomed out and I'm still hitting 20+ inches above the target. I'm using the mounting rings that came with the M-308. I have an Eotech 552 that had no problems zeroing at 100 yards on the Battlerail but no luck with the Nikon (even had the Range Master from our local Sheriffs Office take me to their range with no success). Any suggestions??? Thanks - been really amazed with the knowledge and advise I've found since joining this forum!

·
Registered
54 Posts
The mount from Nikon has a built in 20 MOA slop try flipping the mount around if its still a problem youll need rings i had the same issue. Once i flipped the mount i had the vertical zeroed but im still having issues windage wise with my vltor rail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
M-308

WT, I don't see that you should have a problem with the product's you have chosen. The first thing I would look at is that everything is mounted correctly. It sounds like you have had a number of eye's on this so that shouldn't be a problem. The 20 MOA of the mount on a flat rail should still give you enough room to sight in your rifle and not be so far out of elevation. I would suggest, removing the scope, turn it all the way out or in, then bring it back to mechanical zero, which would be 80 clicks. 40 MOA of internal adjustment, 4 clicks per MOA. That should give you a good starting point. Tightening down the ring screws evenly can also play a big role in zeroing. After doing this and if you are unable to get to where you need to be on paper, there may be an issue with the scope's internal adjustment. Nikon also has a flat AR Mount just like the EX one you have.
Let me know how it works out. If you need to send the scope in I will be happy to help you out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wtbird, I'm having a similar issue with my Troy chassis in the other direction. I'm hitting way low, bottomed out my front flip-up iron first time at the range and still wasn't on paper. I dropped an Eotech on and got it zeroed, but I don't like being so far from mechanical zero.

I think mine is a rail alignment issue. My approach so far has been to try to figure out how much of a rail alignment issue by putting my sight at mechanical zero and figuring out how far off it is.

For you, it sounds like your issue is compounded by your 20MOA slope scope mount. That Nikon only has 40 MOA of internal adjustment, so if your rail already has some slope to it, and the M-308 mount has another 20 MOA of slope, and you max out the scope adjustment, you would be hitting high. Your top rail is probably sloped by 20-30 MOA if you are hitting 20+ inches high at 100 yds in the situation you describe.

Out of curiousity, did the installer put in a slope for you when he mounted it, knowing you were putting a high power scope on later? If you are looking to shoot long range most of the time on this rifle, the 20-30 MOA slope on your rail is actually desirable. I'd consider just getting a non-sloped mount. You may still bottom out your scope adjustment and hit a few inches high at 100yds if you do that, but with that scope you should probably be shooting 300+yds anyway.

If you are set on that scope and mount, you're basically looking at reinstalling the rail and finding a way to get the slope out by changing how the rail mounts either at the gas block or at the rear sight. Maybe shims? I don't know, this is where I'm kinda stuck on mine.

I'm assuming your rail is straight and not warped, too. You might want to verify this if you haven't.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
seems like everyone has some kind of problem with the troy at first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue with M-308

I have a similar problem with this scope. I am maxed out for both elevation and windage while still several inches off at 50 yards. I am using the Springfield 4th Gen Steel mount on a M1A Scout. I have tried both the included rings and currently have Leupold steel rings on there. I had it professionally mounted by a local gunsmith that was recommended by a friend. He bore sighted it and got me on paper but still can not zero in. Anybody have any experience with my setup?

Ovi

·
Registered
918 Posts
I had gen 2 sai mount and nikon scope with the same problem. Changed my mount to sei and la rue tactical rings now works great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts