M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had any trouble putting together a Polytech Bolt with all Polytech guts? I have never had any trouble with any commercial or USGI M14 bolts, or USGI M1 Bolts. I have teo different (USGI style) bolt tools. What was happening is that the extractor would not ride over the extractor spring assembly. I found out, according to postings here that the spring was too long, so I trimmed it to the length specified here. Not much better. The extractor wanted to "peel" the spring assembly out when pushing it down. Eventually, it bent both the spring and plunger. I could have made this a "three handed operation" by taping the handle down at the point of resistance, then got a screwdriver out and "helped" it together, but that is not the point of my post. It should have worked like any other bolt, but didn't, and I am wondering why.

Danny

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For some reason, the Polytech spring assembly was not going far enough into the bolt. I figured this out when I put an M1 Garand one in. I put the original in many times, too. I really don't know why that happened. It was in once and should have gone back in. What I also do not realize is why I did not determine that the spring was sticking out too far without having to install an M1 one.

Danny

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
Glad you figured it out. Did you find a part of a broken spring in the hole, or maybe an extractor spring got in there by accident?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you figured it out. Did you find a part of a broken spring in the hole, or maybe an extractor spring got in there by accident?
I found nothing, but of course, that doesn't mean that something could have fallen out when I fid not see. In any case, the bolt as I tried to assemble it, was previously assembled with those exact parts.

Danny

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have a few Polytechs currently. I know exactly what you"re going thru

All of them had longer extractor springs, compared to USGI . Required me to get a third hand to re-assemble them to use a very small flat tip screwdriver as a wedge between the extractor and pin.
Bought a Garand / M14 bolt assembly tool and got rid of the third hand , but still need the screwdriver on not all, but some

It's not just the length of the spring that's the problem , but spring tension

Buy a USGI replacement spring

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a few Polytechs currently. I know exactly what you"re going thru

All of them had longer extractor springs, compared to USGI . Required me to get a third hand to re-assemble them to use a very small flat tip screwdriver as a wedge between the extractor and pin.
Bought a Garand / M14 bolt assembly tool and got rid of the third hand , but still need the screwdriver on not all, but some

It's not just the length of the spring that's the problem , but spring tension

Buy a USGI replacement spring
I used one of my USGI Garand Springs. That worked. I have two of the bolt tools. One, aluminum bodied from Brownells, the other, metal, like USGI, from Fulton Armory. The Fulton Armory one might not work as well on M14s. The bend in the lever brings the lever down closer to the extractor and made it a bit difficult to use...this time. I will have to try it on some USGI M14 bolts to see if I continue to have issues. If I do, it is a simple thing to make a copy of the lever with less bend in it.

I cleaned and lubed the Polytech after checking headspace. I still have to check and fix some trigger issues, then prep some brass, load ammo, shoot (rinse, repeat).

Danny

Danny.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got a chance to look at the trigger group issue. What is going on is that the first stage ends at a point where there is almost no trigger hammer engagement. Sometimes the relationship was such that the two sat at the point where the trigger was starting to "roll over" and break. It caused the trigger to hang a little, and if you released it, then pulled again, it might release unexpectedly. I hope this makes sense. Tonight I will weigh the trigger before, then work on a repair, weighing it as I go.

Danny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts