M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am a self taught shooter so I am more than likely just looking at wrong. I have no issues with rifles with ghost ring sights with both eyes open but with hand guns I have to close one eye. any tips?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I my self was a self taught shooter, and learning things about your self while shooting is key to making your self better. I cant shoot well with both eyes open on a rifle or a pistol, dosent matter if its irons, a redot, or a scope i just cant do it. However this has not effected my accuracy any and neither has it effected my field of veiw. So shoot what is comfortable for you, trying to fit in with the rest of the pack on shooting technique isnt always the best.

If you absolutly have to learn try squinting with your none dominent eye while shooting, and once you start getting used to squinting start slowly opening your eye while still focusing on the sights with the other eye. This is what worked for me, but i still prefer to have my none dominent eye closed.

Good Shooting.

TXS

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well, I'd like to ask, which eye is dominant? The 'on' or 'off' eye? You don't say WHY you can't shoot the 1911, etc.

You ( as in everyone) really need to get used to shooting with both eyes open.

Alot of trainers( why folks use trainers) uses a eye patch to help with that.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well, I'd like to ask, which eye is dominant? The 'on' or 'off' eye? You don't say WHY you can't shoot the 1911, etc.

Alot of trainers( why folks use trainers) uses a eye patch to help with that.

You do know that alot of self taught shooters dont have the time or the money for a trainer to teach them, and no not eveyone has to learn to keep both eyes open thats a personal prefrence. Saying everyone needs to be able to shoot with both eyes open is like saying everyone should like Ford, just cause its what every one else does dosent mean it is always the best.

I personal only shoot with one eye open, and so do all 4 of my cousins who are all self taught shooters, as well as my grandpa, and my Uncle. We all shoot with one eye open and one eye closed, and bet you one of us could easly out shoot you with one eye. Just cause its the norm and thats what alot of people do dosent mean its for everybody, so take that into consideration next time.

Good Shooting.

TXS

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. I prefer to shoot with both eyes open, My right eye is dominant. I am not sure what you mean by on eye or off eye?

I feel like I am almost subconsciously focusing on the rear of the sight and making the front sight almost double or blur. but again with one eye closed I do not have this issue and only with handguns.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Now that you have established you dominant eye its time for dry fire practice.

Remember that every gun is a loaded gun, and do not point the gun at anything that you aren't comfortable destroying. Snap caps are great to employ for these drills.

If you are not comfortable with dry fire practice do this at the range.

Go through your shooting routine the same as always but this time squint your non dominant eye so that the correct sight picture is more prominent in your vision field.

Squint your eye less and less as you practice and eventually relax the eye to fully open. The more you practice letting your brain sort out the sight picture you want, eventually you will see just one clear post and rear sight picture, and you will be able to ignore the other sight picture.

I hope this helps as it helps me ( i still practice it almost every day).

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I was tought how to shoot by Ssgt. Bernard (dad) when I was a wee lad.

I am left hand dominant but dad wouldn't let me shoot left handed. Something about hot brass in the face! Well I have learned over time that I don't really have a dominant eye! So I guess that is a benefit sometimes.

I learned to shoot with only 1 eye open, works great on the range but in a life and death situation I have found it's not the best. I worked hard on both eye open shooting by shooting clays and tactical ( boy I hate using that word) pistol shooting.

I still shoot 1 eye open when I'm at the range and on KD, stationary targets seMs to work best for me in that application. When I'm gonna go elk hunting I get out and shoot a couple times a week for aprox 2 months in advance and work on my muscle memory, Reactionary shooting and both eyes open. That and I tryn get my fat ass off the couch and hike w a ruck on so I'm not all winded when it comes time to take the shot! Hard to hit when your heartrate is 120 and your out of breath, 1 eye or 2!

So, I use both techniques. With a pistol I almost always shoot with both eyes open. I don't shoot as tight groups that way but I'm not. Match shooter w pistols. I'm the kill whatever is in front of me pistol shooter. 1" groups at 30 yards isn't my objective. Center mass hits, "minute of man" or bear groups is what I'm concerned with.

Most handgun fights are shot at like 8 feet! I don't think MOA, 1/2" groups is whAt matters. Hence the reason I practice for that and not 30yard 1/2" groups. I'd rather hit 3 center mass shots in 2 seconds than 1 head shot in 7 seconds! I think the fight will be over before the 7 seconds anyway.

Its my personal opinion that most people spend to much time on long range tight groups with a pistol. Basic marksmanship is the BASE and IMO should be expounded on beyond that. Natural point of aim, muscle memory, center mass hits.

As Wyett Urp said, "take your time, quickly!"

·
Registered
847 Posts
I agree. I prefer to shoot with both eyes open, My right eye is dominant. I am not sure what you mean by on eye or off eye?
Can I ask you how you know your right is dominant?

Btw, the "ON" eye is the same eye as the side you shoot( and of course, "off" eye is the opposite)....for instance, if you're a 'righty', your right eye is the 'on' eye and your left eye is the 'off' eye.

I feel like I am almost subconsciously focusing on the rear of the sight and making the front sight almost double or blur. but again with one eye closed I do not have this issue and only with handguns.
IF I was training you, I'd tape your sights ( or better yet, replace your slide with a slide with no sights on it)and have you focus on the target. Then I'd add the front sight and then eventually add the rear sight.

Most snap shooting teaches putting the front sight on the target and hitting it( at close range).

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Great post geneco!

Back to the "minute of man" shooting with a pistol!

You said what I was trying in half the words!

Trouble is training this way is difficult for most folks where as most ranges won't let you do the things necessary to train this way. IE holster draw, double tap, reaction shooting. If ya try that on your average indoor range on your everyday, "let's rent a lane" day you will probably be removed from the range.
The range I shoot on won't let you drop the bench in the lane so you cannot do anything beyond half ass.

Taking a class or finding private property is the best way to learn such things. Reading it in a book is a good place to start but ya need training and rounds down range to implement the lessons.

Great post! My advice to this shooter is enroll in a "tactical" pistol course. He will get the instruction and the rounds down range that are needed. You and I were fortunate to be trained by the best. Had to join the suck to get it but WTH wouldn't change it for the world!
My personal issue now is getting the time, money, and space to stay proficient! Really sucks when ya go to the range you realize you ain't what ya used to be! That's one of the wonderful things about the shooting sports, it's a truly humbling exercise! :)

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
I taught myself to shoot with both eye's open, you just have to practice until and teach your brain how to process it.

It's kind of like being married and selective hearing if you know what I mean.

Reactions: berndog

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I my self was a self taught shooter, and learning things about your self while shooting is key to making your self better. I cant shoot well with both eyes open on a rifle or a pistol, dosent matter if its irons, a redot, or a scope i just cant do it. However this has not effected my accuracy any and neither has it effected my field of veiw. So shoot what is comfortable for you, trying to fit in with the rest of the pack on shooting technique isnt always the best.

If you absolutly have to learn try squinting with your none dominent eye while shooting, and once you start getting used to squinting start slowly opening your eye while still focusing on the sights with the other eye. This is what worked for me, but i still prefer to have my none dominent eye closed.

Good Shooting.

TXS
I am in the Same Boat Today I tried keeping both eyes open, I could not do it. I could not even see the sight with my Dominant eye
I will give your suggestion a try next time I go to the range

·
Registered
847 Posts
Great post geneco!

Back to the "minute of man" shooting with a pistol!

You said what I was trying in half the words!

Trouble is training this way is difficult for most folks where as most ranges won't let you do the things necessary to train this way. IE holster draw, double tap, reaction shooting. If ya try that on your average indoor range on your everyday, "let's rent a lane" day you will probably be removed from the range.
The range I shoot on won't let you drop the bench in the lane so you cannot do anything beyond half ass.

Taking a class or finding private property is the best way to learn such things. Reading it in a book is a good place to start but ya need training and rounds down range to implement the lessons.

Great post! My advice to this shooter is enroll in a "tactical" pistol course. He will get the instruction and the rounds down range that are needed. You and I were fortunate to be trained by the best. Had to join the suck to get it but WTH wouldn't change it for the world!
My personal issue now is getting the time, money, and space to stay proficient! Really sucks when ya go to the range you realize you ain't what ya used to be! That's one of the wonderful things about the shooting sports, it's a truly humbling exercise! :)

Thanks,,,,,,,,absolutely right.........that's why I got myself on this here homestead and have my own range 0- 100 yds.

Not spouting my age, but the old timers didn't even use sights that much. Alot of them said they didn't have time to aquire sights. I heard Elmer Keith had a Gold dot soldered onto his pistol as a front sight, claimed it was easy to see anytime( day or night). 'Course, those guys were grinding off the front of their trigger guards, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.