M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. What is the "Miszany-Shardin Effect"?

2. What was the "Phoenix" mine system?

3. The first model of the M18 Claymore used cubic projectiles, whereas the M18A1 switched to spherical projectiles, why?

4. Why was the original firing device issued with the M18 Claymore discarded in service?

5. When was the M18 adopted into service.

·
Premium Member
Schrödinger's Leftist
1,139 Posts
3. (total guess) packing in cubic shapes into a case and then blowing it outwards doesn't produce as wide of a kill zone. the gaps in packed spherical objects allows combustion gasses to push projectiles (especially those at the edges) in more directions, for a wider kill zone

Reactions: 4th award expert

·
Registered
448 Posts
#1 the named theory behind the use of explosives in charges initially used for explosive engraving with BP then HE as better materials/products were invented.
#2 shorter range (25yds) Canadian version of the M18
#4 premature detonation problems
#5 between 1952 M18 & 1954 M18A1

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
1. The blast can be directed if the charge is backed by a steel plate.

3. 700 ball bearings have better flight characteristics then cubes. The ones I've seen taken apart had the bearings embedded in a sheet of epoxy.

4. I think the original ones used a battery instead of a clacker.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have all the correct answers, now.

1. The Miszany-Shardin Effect is the phenomenon that the blast of a sheet of explosive will be directed perpendicular to the sheet. It is what makes a Claymore, a HEAT round, and an atomic bomb work.

2. A smaller Canadian version of the Claymore.

3. The balls are not actually ball bearing but mild steel balls, the hard ball bearings had a tendency to shatter under the shock of the explosion. The better aerodynamics of the balls increased the lethal range from 50 to 100 feet.

4. The original firing device was a skeletonized flashlight body with two terminal studs similar to a field telephone. With two naked wires, static electricity had a tendency to ignite the mine. It was recommended that the two wires be fastened to a single terminal (shorted together) until firing. The clacker and the shielded plugs solve the problem.

5. The M18 was adopted as standard in 1956 and the M18A1 in 1960.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts