M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
You will likely find the acog does not get much love here. I would be an exception. I think its a great sight that can work for the socom. I have a socom 1 that I tweaked and have a acog for. The difficulty with the acog is that it was made for the ar and has two significant issues for an m1a. the first is eye relief and the second is cheek weld. Those have to be addressed.

Eye relief was easy for me. I have an arms mount on mine because its solid, low and I can uses my sights over it. I bought a larue q/d mount that lets the sight sit back further and I filed off the back corner of the mount (no issues with function) that lets it sit right up almost touching the front of my rear sight.

Cheek weld is more of an issue. I am currently using an adjustable kydex riser to get my face up. Its ok but I'm not thrilled with it. One of the more modern ar style stocks would likely solve this issue.

The acog is bullet proof and clear as a bell and pretty fast. If you can work around the eye relief and height issue I think you will like it. As a side note my son used it to make a great shot on a deer at 125 yds a year or so ago and its fast on knock down steel.

Josh

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Even with a vltor modstock and m14 a cog mount you'll find its a poor choice.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Eye relief of ACOG's varies with magnification, TA31 4 power is shortest TA11 3.5 power is longest and TA33 3 power is in between. The 11 or 33 are best choice for use on M14 type rifles. I like the 33 because I am looking for a battle sight ala SUIT or SUSAT type not a sniper scope. Haters aside the ACOG can work on the M14, not the best choice for a precision rifle but I gave up on the M14 for that purpose a long time ago. For a rugged no nonsense low magnification battle sight it works. The TA33 LaRue mount is a little lower and on a Sadlak mount and using a Vltor stock cheek riser is not required.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
ACOGs are made for flattop ARs so they sit WAAAAAAY too high on an M1A and with way too short eye relief. Get a good 1-4x optic instead.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The only ACOG you'll find that is good on the m1a is the 1.5 power TA24. I have a couple and used one on my scout/bush when I had it. It's the only acog that has a very extended eye relief. The eye relief was so great I could actually use it out on the barrel on a scout mount if I wanted (I didn't though).

Being 1.5 power it's more of a short range sighting aid than a scope. And you need the TA24 that has the special ring mount, not the way more common TA45 with the usual m16 mount. The TA24 with special ring mount will sit the acog lower than the m16 style mount, to a usable height unlike all the other acogs (which use the m16 mout).

·
Registered
406 Posts
Is anybody running the 308 ACOG on the SOCOM II? I'd like to see a picture if you are.
I don’t have an ACOG on my Soc16 but instead run a TR24. It’s bigger, but the image quality is tops. I have a TA11 on a .223 and like it a lot. With low mounts securing the TR24, I am happy with the eye relief, and almost happy with the cheek weld.

I’m not saying the TR24 is better, worse or the same, just different and a bit less expensive. I looked at trying to put an ACOG on my Soc16 but I already had the TR24 so I just procured the mount.

For an ACOG - and I would still consider one for a good price I’d need more cheek riser for sure.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
TA11's are damn good optics, but on an M14 or one of its variants, you'll practically have to use a chin weld.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Smurf, those Springfield mounts sit fairly high. Just switching the mount might bring it down enough to tweak the height issue.
Josh

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a TA-55 on my ebr, did have an arms mount but it put it just about a half inch to far forward, Got to try out a GDI mount and it was perfect. So now I am saving for that

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just picked up an EOTECH 516 on the cheap. Even though I wanted something with magnification I think I'll give this a try and see how I like it.

·
13,515 Posts
There ain't no hate.

The acog is fantastic

There is a difference between experience with a piece of gear and being a hater.

Were are not talking about xbox, Like Garrard said, enjoy your chin weld.

Best setup would be the trip icon made mount or similar with a sage ALCS.

·
13,515 Posts
Get a 1-4 1-5 or 1-6x 24 mm

It's just better
You can even get a trijicon in the above configuration the VCOG or accupoint is fantastic.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Like everyone has said before, to get the optic far enough backward you have to use special mounts.

You can use the GDI or Trijicon's "TA70" mount (GDI mount with Trijicon Markings).
This mount features a solid picatinny rail that goes all the way back past the rear sight. Use of a flat top adapter for your ACOG will allow you to come back the furthest.

Downside: Expensive, Sits really high. Like Stupid high. Rear section of picatinny stops you from adjusting rear sight for elevation. Pretty much makes your rifle dedicated for optics.
See the second page of this thread: http://m14forum.com/optics/88857-what-your-favorite-m1a-scope-mount-2.html

You can use an ARMS#18 scope mount, which is the lowest available, and mount your ACOG on an ARMS#19, and mount the ARMS #19 to the top of the #18. This will get you a nice, low, and removable ACOG mount.

Downside: Multiple piece affair. Combination may not be able to get the ACOG far enough back.

Lastly Smith Enterprise Inc. Makes an ACOG specific mount. It incorporates a top rail that can be removed to show an ACOG mounting channel, like the one from the ARMS#19. Several pictures on their website. (I won't link to it).

Downside: Having to deal with SEI. Mount also may not be able to get the optics far enough back for eye relief. Again have to use a high cheekpiece.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts