M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
893 Posts
I vote Timney. A little fiddly getting the set screws tightened down against the receiver though.

Reactions: Armadr

· Premium Member
893 Posts
Timney's AR trigger (the gold anodized one; I have 3 of them) has a total of 4 set screws. There are 2 that tension down against the bottom of the receiver to take up all the gap underneath, and then 2 more go on top of those locking it in. The one issue is that the two set screws that lock the bottom two need to be taken out, and the hammer springs go right over the top of them. You sort of need to fiddle with them to get them around the spring leg and back into the threads, being careful not to cross-thread them.

Other than that, I think they're good for the price. All of mine are the 3# version, and that's plenty sufficient for what I need.

If the OP wants a 2-stage, I've only used Geissele, and It's nice.

· Registered
22 Posts
I tend to stick to Geissele or Larue. The Geissele SSA-E has a 3.5lb trigger. It's very nice, but MSRP on it is $240. This time of year though you should be able to find it on sale.

The Larue MBT-2S is also a very nice 2 stage trigger. It's $89. I would definitely look into that one.
I have the Geissele and Larue. Both are great but I favor the Larue.

· Registered
1,404 Posts
We all know the expensive and excellent reputation of Geissele. I've heard great things about the Larue line up too.
Larue also has an excellent single stage trigger. Larue doesn't carry a large pin version unlike Geissele.
There are also great triggers from KAC.

@brianns I've heard about Rock River's triggers but, I don't know anyone with one to voucher for their quality. Do you have one?

· Registered
4,840 Posts
We all know the expensive and excellent reputation of Geissele. I've heard great things about the Larue line up too.
Larue also has an excellent single stage trigger. Larue doesn't carry a large pin version unlike Geissele.
There are also great triggers from KAC.

@brianns I've heard about Rock River's triggers but, I don't know anyone with one to voucher for their quality. Do you have one?
I have installed a few of the RRA match 2 stage triggers in rifles. I like them a lot. They are fairly economic and better than the basic 1 stage military style. I have the varmint model awaiting a dedicated lower for a 6.5 Grendel upper I have. I think I mocked it up but didn’t get to really use it yet. But it seemed to be performing as advertised. The parts come with a different disconnector spring. RRA will say it comes with a certain color instruction card but I asked what was different? They said It was the spring that made the difference. But the cards have the same text. I think the card is to identify the right kit from a bin for sorting.

I have it in a box of parts waiting to select a lower. A bit of a long story and it’s one of a few projects I got various hold ups on. First world problems I guess.

· Registered
197 Posts
How do you define “drop in”? A “cartridge” like the Tunney’s or CMCs? Is it really necessary? Sometimes the only tooling needed for a “regular” trigger and hammer is a toothpick to keep things lined up.

If I were to recommend any trigger/hammer combo in that weight range:
Geissele High Speed National Match.
With the springs for Service Rifle, right around 4.5-5.0lbf. Can reliably get down to 2 lbf with the Match Rifle springs. Go with an SSA-E if you don’t want adjustability.

14k rounds plus on one set of the NM triggers/hammers with no troubles. Have seen a lot of other triggers break from other companies.

· Registered
154 Posts
Love my Velocity Trigger.

· Registered
2,658 Posts
Another vote for the Geissele SSA-E. You missed out on the Black Friday sale they had, the SSA-Es were going for $144! 😳

If you want a flat faced trigger, the SD-E is the same as the SSA-E except for the trigger profile.

Reactions: Den308

· Registered
109 Posts
I have used the Elfman triggers, one after 4 different lowers and over 16K rounds started having reset issues. I contacted Elfman and they told me to send it in. Trigger was back in my hands 9 days later, complete rebuild, no charge. No questions asked. They did advise not to lube the assembly in any way.
It is the least expensive model they sell. Totally impressed, I have since bought 4 more.

· Registered
2,658 Posts
Reactions: Den308

· Premium Member
54 Posts
Another vote for the SSA-E. The Timney & LaRue are good, but the Geissele SSA-E is outstanding. Very light, but also very tactile and positive.
Definitely bide your time and snap one up when they go on sale.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts