M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I recently attempted to remove the trigger group of my M1A for cleaning, the trigger guard rotated about half way and stopped. I didn't want to force it so I did an internet search and I found that the roll pin for the magazine latch will drift and cause the jam. This is in fact what has occurred with my rifle. The recommended solution is to move the pin back to where it belongs. However, there is not a lot of room to work in there and the pin seems to be snug (as it should be but obviously not snug enough). Does anyone have a suggestion before I consider a gunsmith?

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,231 Posts
There isn't a lot of room to get any leverage on the pin, but that is exactly what needs to be done. The pin is blocking the trigger guard from opening completely to release the trigger group. I am checking a trigger group in a Boyds stock and I found that this group also has a pin that sticks out a little. With a little force the guard can be opened by over-riding the pin. The question is, how far does the pin stick out? The pin cannot be accessed with the action assembled in the stock. I hate to force anything, but that may be the only way to get the guard open. There is a small opening just above the housing pads and below the receiver legs. you should be able to see the pin where it protrudes. You'll have to wedge a tool in against the pin and try to force it back. It will be tricky, but it is doable.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
When you do get it out replace the pin.

It's an 1/8" spiral coil spring pin in a non-standard length - 0.640" long, get a 3/4" one and cut it down.

A slotted tubular spring pin will also work.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
A thin 6” steel ruler should slide in there but I think I used a small screw driver.

·
Registered
12,830 Posts
Put a couple of drops of CLP in there, on either side of the mag release.

Use the flat head screwdrivers from one of those cheap little jewelers/eyeglass sets.

Wiggle the mag release as you try to pry the pin back in to place.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Out of curiosity.
Does the pin always slide out the same direction while in the stock or could it go either way?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There isn't a lot of room to get any leverage on the pin, but that is exactly what needs to be done. The pin is blocking the trigger guard from opening completely to release the trigger group. I am checking a trigger group in a Boyds stock and I found that this group also has a pin that sticks out a little. With a little force the guard can be opened by over-riding the pin. The question is, how far does the pin stick out? The pin cannot be accessed with the action assembled in the stock. I hate to force anything, but that may be the only way to get the guard open. There is a small opening just above the housing pads and below the receiver legs. you should be able to see the pin where it protrudes. You'll have to wedge a tool in against the pin and try to force it back. It will be tricky, but it is doable.
I will give it a try. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put a couple of drops of CLP in there, on either side of the mag release.

Use the flat head screwdrivers from one of those cheap little jewelers/eyeglass sets.

Wiggle the mag release as you try to pry the pin back in to place.
I will give it a go. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you do get it out replace the pin.

It's an 1/8" spiral coil spring pin in a non-standard length - 0.640" long, get a 3/4" one and cut it down.

A slotted tubular spring pin will also work.
I ordered a new pin and spring from Numrich.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
This is the first time this has occurred.
I was just throwing the question out to the more knowledgeable than myself about the pin.
Seems the problem with the pin moving out can be a common occurrence.
Want to know if it always moves the same direction (left,right)?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally got the pin to move with a #2 Philips screw driver. I inserted the screw driver into the gap between the mag well and the mag latch and gave it a half turn. That moved the pin enough to let me remove the trigger group. I finished the job with a brass punch. I guess I'll replace it when I receive the new pin.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
isnt this why these pins were staked into place on many usgi trigger groups? Maybe once fixed, you can stake it and stop it from happening again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts