M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently sold a USGI fiberglass stock that was not a tight lock up to my rifle. I would install the trigger group and it would take nothing to snap it it, no force hardly at all. I sold it and the USGI stock I have now is a very tight lock up, I had to take a dremel to it to trim the sides. I got it trimmed down and it is a tight lock up. How tight do you really want it. Is the tighter the better (within reason). Is this going to hurt mu rifle being under this tension? Also will it be prone to popping out now that it is really tight or does that happen with a loose fitting trigger group? thanks Billy

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
A tight lock-up for the trigger group will help accuracy because it pulls the receiver down into the stock. This helps keep the receiver from shifting around in the stock providing more consistency from shot to shot.

Be sure to check that the hammer does not follow the bolt. Hold the trigger back and move the oprod back and forward. If the hammer does not stay cocked and follows the bolt then you have an unsafe condition with the sear not retaining the hammer hooks. This can cause an out of battery Kaboom, not good!

Also check the safety's function by pulling the trigger hard when the safety is engaged and then disengaging the safety. If the hammer falls, this is another dangerous condition. If either of these conditions exist, you will have to inlet the stock a bit to let the trigger unit sit deeper and provide better engagement of the sear and hammer hooks.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
A tight fit is what you are looking for. I have not had to dremel any of my stocks to get everything to lock but have heard of others that have done it. Check to see if your mags fit good & the hammer is locking down in the trigger group. If everything seems good, do a function test at the range with just a couple rounds in the mag & full mags too. There is some bolt drag from both the trigger group and magazine that is normal. If it is excessive you will have FTF problems, short stroking or trouble with the bolt stop. You should feel some resistance a little past half the swing of the trigger guard and pretty stiff tension the last 1/3 of the trigger group lock up. Some of my stocks fit tighter than others. I have not had problems with function on any of them though. Wood stocks tend to compress after use. If your new stock starts getting sloppy again, just use a little bedding material were you used your dremel. Also, different trigger guards will lock up tighter than others. I hope this is what you were looking for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.