M14 Forum banner

Trigger group issue, need advice

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  etale 
#1 ·
I bought this trigger group recently for a great price in the px. it is a sai housing with all nos PB parts. while doing a function test i noticed the trigger was sort of "slapping" forward to allow the hammer hooks to engage the sear. I took it out of the rifle to really see whats going on and it appears the sear is bottoming out before the hammer hooks are able to engage therefore the hammer is making contact with the sear and forcing the trigger forward. The seller said I can return it unmodified for a refund but i wanted to post a thread seeing if this is an easy fix before I sent it back. The only thing i can think thats causing this is that maybe the sear hole in the housing was drilled just ever so slightly off but im not sure. i tried to take the best pic i could to show whats going on. the hammer does go down a little bit more than it does in the picture before stopping on the top edge of the sear. Should i fix or send back?

See less See more
#2 ·
Pull it down, check the trigger pin and hammer pin, find out if they are bent or broken.
If it checks out swap all the parts to another housing, if the problem goes away than it is the housing, if it doesn't swap out 1 part at a time and check for function. Sub 1 part at a time and you should be able to isolate the problem. Inspect the part after isolation.

Jim

#3 ·
thanks bro. I tried putting a polytech trigger and sear in that worked perfectly on the rifle it was pulled from and when out of the rifle the hammer cleared the sear hooks and seemed like it was gonna work great however when i put in both my lrb and polytech the sear was failing to grab the hammer hooks at all and the hammer was just following the bolt closed. I think i might send it back im thinking its a bad housing. good old SAI

#5 ·
Based only on past history of both SAI and PB parts, My guess is the sai housing is out of spec. Checking a different set of parts should tell you what the issue is, usually does for me anyway. Silly question, is the hammer spring housing in with the window cut out towards the safety? This can cause all kinds of weird issues and is not safe. I have also had a similar problem that turned out to be a bad or out of spec hammer spring housing. It did not have the channel milled in it for the sear cams. I hammered that part into a useless hunk of scrap, felt good too because of how much time I wasted messing with that trigger group trying to fix it. Yes, I may have called it a name or two while taking aim at it with my 2# hammer. CENSOREDGI DISHOUT

#7 ·
yeah those trigger parts are not fun to mess with and after swapping a few different triggers my fingers were hurting so bad and I was ready to call it a day. Im guessing the housing is out of spec and the seller of the trigger group being the stand up guy he is is gonna swap it for a GI housing and that should solve it

#6 ·
Boomer, I have a few extra trigger group parts I am willing to loan you if you don't have what you need to trouble shoot it. If I have enough to spare of a particular part that fixes your group, I may be willing to sell it to you for what I have in it, or work out a trade with you. It is a shame we don't live closer or at least one of us were rich enough to have a privet jet. There are several members here I would really enjoy smiting, shooting, or just hanging out and conversing with, but the usually very long distance makes doing that impracticable. I know this is off the subject, but we need to organize a few, regional maybe, get-togethers so we M14forum members can meet in person, grill some meat and have a few brews, and shoot our '14s,, and maybe even a friendly informal competition. I may start a thread about this to gauge interest and feasibility.

#8 ·
Problem is likely hammer interfering with the housing. Look on the left side, at the top edge of the housing. The hammer has a 'bump' sticking out its left side that is part of the safety cam 'nose'. When the hammer goes to full cocked position, this bump on the left side will connect with the top edge of the trigger housing, preventing the hooks from bottoming out on the top of the trigger, which will bend or break the trigger pin.

So, the hammer is supposed to go back until the hooks 'almost' touch the top of the trigger.

If that is the case, I'm not sure if the trigger housing is high, or the bump on the hammer is low, but your hammer can't get quite back far enough to properly. You can swap parts to solve that. Either one for a few sec on a belt sander will fix it.

#9 ·
You might try a complete disassembly, clean out all the old grease, then regrease and reassemble to see if the problem persists. I got a TG from the same seller (If I am not mistaken), and mine is very sticky (sear, trigger etc) from the old lube. I have not checked the functioning yet (I think it has a TRW housing), and don't have it nearby so can't say if mine has any issues yet. Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.