M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Yes...I am new to the M1a, maybe that explains it.

I have a SAI M1a standard, walnut stock. Had it for nearly a year, but finally ready to try it out. I've watched Tony's vids for disassembly and lubing/oiling and because he and others said it's a good idea to make sure lubrication is good even though new, that's what I'm trying to do.

But...I can't even get started as the trigger group won't budge. I can flip the trigger guard up and extend fully without difficulty:

But it doesn't just pull out. I seached forums and found a couple others with similar issue and have tried these recommendations:

--"Lock the bolt to the rear and with a punch seated on top of the mag. release," tap" with a light mallet, it will slip free. Art"

--"If the trigger guard IS fully open, then put a punch down the mag well onto the mag latch and tap it. Shouldn't take much at all. You really ought to be able to wiggle it out." From Caliber30

--And this: "If it's a new rifle with a wood stock, it is most likely stock oil holding the Trigger Assembly in place (assuming it is a Scout, Standard or Loaded model).

Pop the trigger guard, but don't open it. Try pulling the trigger. If the hammer falls, work the action to recock it and pull the trigger again.

Do it several times. Sometimes it will vibrate the Trigger Assembly loose.

The other trick is to pop the trigger guard and insert a magazine a few times." From KurtC

None of this has worked so far.

I also read these:

--"Theres a push pin that holds the tg parts into their housing that sometimes back out, and they can jab into the stock and keep the tg from removing. Are u sure this isnt the case? Look at a picture of a tg to see where these roll pins are, it is kinda rare but could be happening if a tap from the top wont pop it out."

Me: but I can't see any pin to push. I see the pin that Tony refers to in video and he mentions that this could lock things in, but I can't see how to access the pin. Tony mentions that the pin locking could happen over time with actually shooting the rifle, but mine is new, not been fired.

"Keep an eye on the roll pin that holds the mag release lever......mine has drifted out on occasion and prevents the triggerguard from opening enough to release it from the receiver legs. It can be pushed back in with the flat blade of a screwdriver."

Me: I'm not sure I know what the roll pin refered to above looks like.

Here's some more photos: see anything? Or just call SAI?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Try unlocking the Trigger guard, hold the rifle by the forearm upside down, and let the buttstock fall gently on a carpeted surface such as the floor. The action may fall away from the stock and you can determine the problem with the TG

·
Forum Jester
6,926 Posts
or the trigger guard pin has moved bindind the action

Reactions: oldflyboy

·
Registered
8,640 Posts
Hold your rifle upside down, muzzle towards you. Look at the mag catch. The roll pin you are referring to passes horizontally thru the mag catch & the catch pivots on this pin against the spring. That's the pin that may have walked out to one side.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The quote function here doesn't seem to be working, so:

-->"If the trigger guard opens completely just open the bolt and tap the housing out with a drift against the top of the magazine catch. It should come right out, but do not force it."

Finally! It did pop loose. I think I was hesitant to "tap" too hard for fear of damaging something, but I gave it a little more and felt it budge; it didn't come right out, but then a few more gentle taps and it began to inch its way out.

-->"Hold your rifle upside down, muzzle towards you. Look at the mag catch. The roll pin you are referring to passes horizontally thru the mag catch & the catch pivots on this pin against the spring. That's the pin that may have walked out to one side."

Thanks for the explantion; now that it's out I see what you mean more clearly. Because I couldn't see anything out of alignment, I went ahead with the firmer "tap" mentioned above.

The mag latch looks straight now that I have it out.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I usually put a little dab of grease on the rails of the trigger housing before sliding it back up in the stock/receiver legs. May not be necessary, but it makes me feel good(er.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for this thread. I too am a newbie and took my tanker apart for the first time today. My trigger assembly was also tight coming out and tight going in. After reading this thread, felt more comfortable w/ a few whacks.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
One of the more often heard complaints (over the years) has been the trigger housing assembly is "sloppy" in my receiver. I've seen people booger up (using a punch/hammer) the rails on the trigger housing to increase friction/interference between the housing and the legs on the receiver.

I also add a little grease on those trigger housing rails and a dab on the pins the trigger guard pivots around/onto to hold it to the receiver legs. Hopefully it makes it easier to install, easier to remove and reduces wear on the pieces locking together.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I bought a 5 line M1A. Had a devil of a time getting the trigger housing assy out. I took my time and tapped it out. The problem was the cast Springfield Armory trigger group housing. Even trying to install the cast housing into the receiver out of the stock was difficult, so I replaced the assy with a GI to correct the problem.

·
Premium Member
15,262 Posts
Some of the recent SAI trigger housings seem to have a spline that is elevated from the housing by a few thousands more than it should to the point where it will not fit into the receiver properly. I have been filing the splines down when sticky or unusable groups show up and it seems to correct the problem, at least on the few I have been seeing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts