M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang. So, I did a quick clean/finish on one of my three Big Red stocks from "Fred". Then I just couldn't wait to remove the vitals from the cheesy black composite stock and drop them in, so I did. Low and behold they did drop right in with a modest bit of coaxing (I expected a bit of trouble). Anyhoo, I followed others' great advice and stored the rifle with the trigger guard pulled out to prevent compressing the wood. Next time I opened the case to take a look-see, the trigger guard was on the bottom of the case.

So, question is, is it okay for the trigger guard assembly to be that loose? BTW, when it locks it does lock in-place. I stowed it with the trigger guard locked when I re-stored the rifle.

I was thinking that's better than pulling the trigger guard and stowing it separately and taking a chance on the rifle "folding".

What do you all think???

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I store all my rifles with the trigger groups locked in place with no issue.

Reactions: rocketj440

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I story all my rifles with the trigger groups locked in place with no issue.
Wish I could remember where I read to store them "unlocked". Fred or Boston most likely...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Nice looking stock. She looks a lot better now.

Reactions: rocketj440

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice looking stock. She looks a lot better now.
Thanks Gulliver. It does look 1000% better to me. I have a great tiger-striped Big Red I'm going to refinish soon...

·
Registered
977 Posts
I generally store them unlocked, but its up to to you. But yes, they can compress the wood over time, at least according to what I have read from others more experienced than me. The point is, I don't think I will ever have to worry about it, since I don't stored them locked.

I have had them fall out if the rifle shifts around or tips, its not that wierd. Especially if it gets pushed around in the back of the safe.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I generally store them unlocked, but its up to to you. But yes, they can compress the wood over time, at least according to what I have read from others more experienced than me. The point is, I don't think I will ever have to worry about it, since I don't stored them locked.

I have had them fall out if the rifle shifts around or tips, its not that wierd. Especially if it gets pushed around in the back of the safe.
Part of my problem is I don't have a safe--yet ICONSAD. But I'm working on it...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fred said it. I don't do it, just seems more friction would produce more wear. I leave mine alon.
Yes sir, Fred said it--it's pretty much Gospel then!

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Mine are stored ready to rock.....

Hobo
Yep, Mine to. Maybe if I had a expensive National match rifle I would worry about it. But not with my standard.

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts
Between seasons, the Army National Guard Rifle Team armorers, IIRC, would store the rifles muzzle down with the trigger group unlocked. If you don't plan on shooting it for an extended period of time, keep it unlocked. This will prevent stock compression over time.

Probably not an issue on rear-lugged rifles with a bedding screw as the trigger guard is actually set with no tension when locked since the screw keeps everything together.

Tony.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Happy 4th of July!

I had the same problem with a big red birch I bought, the trigger group felt too loose. Bedded it and the receiver heel, now it locks up very well. Shoots good too.

Get a safe! Bolt it to the wall or floor in your master closet or someplace people won't see it right off the bat. Last thing you want is for some hick tweaker kid to go through your house and grab your favorite rifle while you are at work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts