M14 Forum banner

Tried a new range today!

851 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  WaM14gunner 
#1 ·
Some may recall the range I have been shooting at for 30 years is closed for at least a year, perhaps forever for lead cleanup.
This left with me with basically 2 choices for ranges, one a half hour further north than where I was going making it at least an hour each way, or one to south about the same distance and time as the old one, so I tried it today.
Its called Marysville Rifle Club, basically a membership thing, but I found out looking at their website that they open to the public on Thursdays! So I drove down today to check it out.
I have in fact shot there before some years ago when my late dad was a member of the place, but I couldnt even remember how to get there without directions!

In some ways I like it better, other ways not but I suspect for the time being it will be my go to range. I do like that one can shoot at targes from 50 to 220 without having to move as one is shooting from an elevated position and downwards at 50 and 100 then more level further out, and they have a couple of gongs set up out there.
Benches have partitions between them which helps with brake blast and flying empties but does create an odd springy sounding blast, like BOINGGG! inside the cube.. takes a little getting used to. Its also covered which adds to that.

They did have one mandatory cease fire while I was right in the middle of a load with one rifle and they changed my target which was only half used, but oh well. They didnt charge me for dirtying up another one at least, maybe cause I was BS'ing with the RM while that was going on and I said something.

At times I was the only one shooting, the others who obviously know each other were having coffee and dognuts with their bull sessions, LOL.

Range fee was $10 and they require the use of chamber flags which I didnt have any of with me, so they of course charged me for 2 at a buck a pop. Guess you cant have too many chamber flags right?

All in all a good set up, once I found out where everything was like sand bags, etc. Dont care for the not very stable things they use to rest the rifle on, but I can bring my own, may have to invest in some decent range bags, never had to before. Or get field expedient...make do.

See less See more
#6 ·
It's good that you've found something closer to home. Sure, there's plus's and minus's to the suitability, but you're probably ahead of the game. (Hey, you don't have to fight Bellingham traffic, going both ways). Chamber flags? Custer requires them for all their competitions and were moving towards wanting them on the front line as well.

Reactions: WaM14gunner
#7 ·
The one thing that will get to me a bit is cost. With a $10 range fee every time I go, that can add up quickly. as I like to shoot weekly.
At the county range I was going to I could buy a season pass for $200 and probably make the county cry every time I went, because most of my trips were free.
I will have to ask but I dont think its an option at Marysville. I know Custer has a different fee schedule too. Biggest problem with Custer is distance and time on the road, at least an hour each way and I drive a diesel pickup and while I get good mileage on the highway, it may become hard to find in the near future and the price keeps going up.

So in the end the closer Marysville range probably makes more sense and I may just have to scale back on how often I go. We shall see.

#8 ·
In my world $10 range fees are practically nonexistent and therefore a great bargain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.