M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tribute DARPA XM-3 USMC Sniper Rifle

Did not ever think one of these would become part of my US Military Long Arms collection but when this base rifle showed up on the CMP WTS forum built by a USMC 2112 I started doing research and asked for lots of photos. This is a link to the background of the XM-3 rifle xm3_draft_rikert.pdf (stevereichert.com)

And the following are his updates since that document was written:

8/15/2014: The article above caught the eye of a former Army logistician when it was published by SOF. Thanks to the efforts of Dr. EB, he was able to get the Marine Corps to transfer the XM3’s over to the US Army. The Army then transferred the XM3’s to the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP). The CMP will start auctioning off the XM3’s at the end of August 2014. This is the 1st time in history a COMPLETE US Govt. issued sniper rifle with documented combat history has been made available to the public.

9/20/2014: The 1st DARPA XM-3 was sold via auction on the CMP’s website. The final price was $16,001.00. It would have been higher had CMP’s website not crashed during the last 4 days of the auction. The rifle went to a firearms accessory company CEO who has done a lot of the Marines over the years.

11/18/2014: The 2nd DARPA XM-3 was sold to yours truly. I had been in contact with CMP for six months on a rather large XM-3 lot purchase, so I had a good idea of what was in the inventory. The folks at CMP were extremely receptive of my request to track down one of the rarest XM-3’s used by the Marine Corps. The Marines had 2 XM-3’s with take-down stocks, and only 1 of the take-down XM-3’s had a fluted barrel. I knew one of those two rifles had the 1st McMillian A6 stock on it (my old personal stock). After cutting a check, the guys at CMP shipped out one of the two MCWL XM-3’s. Upon opening the box, it felt like an old family reunion. The XM-3 with a fluted barrel that I held in my hand had been one of the prototype XM’s that we had tested at Blackwater. It was the only one ever made with flutes. I took the rifle apart to clean it up and upon looking inside the barrel channel I saw “SSGT REICHERT”. When IBA had bedded the 1st McMillian A6 onto my personal rifle, they stamped my rank and name into the stock. Months later IBA asked if I would be willing to switch stocks out so DARPA could have two take-down XM-3’s in their inventory. The stock went onto an XM-3 and off to MCWL. Upon inspecting the gun book, I saw that MCWL had sent the rifle into Ramadi Iraq for one of the the most infamous combat operations in the city. The 1st unit to get the XM-3 did an ok job at keeping the gun book up to date. There were 111 rounds logged in during the rifles 1st few months in the country. I’m still researching the combat history of this rifle; it’s a history that I’m sure is extensive with lots of great stories. More to follow!

11/21/2014: Took the XM-3 to the range today to ensure she’s zeroed. With Remington factory 175 grain match she consistently printed 1/2 MOA at 102yds. At 302yds I ran some Lapua 185 grain through her, the groups were all 1/2 MOA or less. Two groups were 1/3 MOA. It’s nice to have part of the family so to speak back in the house, and in perfect working order.

Here are three photos of the rifle prior to being painted and two in the field painted.

This is how the rifle came to me, basic rifle build by active duty PWS 2112 in late December 2016 and test fired and delivered in January 2017. All correct parts except the night vision mount not stamped by IBA. The cheek pad is correct but the bipod was a different model and longer.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I changed out the Bipod for the correct model and length, added the Night Force scope and rings, put Butler Creek caps on the scope, added the Turner AWS olive color sling and Uncle Mike’s quick debatable mil-spec sling swivel for the bipod.

The Night Force scope is the NXS 3.5-15x50mm .25 MOA and Mil Dot reticle and no NF logo on the windage knob which is correct for the XM-3, got it off EBay.

Scope came with a sun shade extension but as you can see it would interfere with the night vision rail. If you need a sun shade extension for a NF 30mm scope let me know as it is extra to my needs.

The Night Force rings are the Ultralite 30mm 1.125 tall rings with no NF on the top and got them from PFC Thomas (M14F). The correct rings would be the .885 low rings with NF on the top. If anyone has a set of these I would trade even for these tall rings.

The replacement Bipod is the Harris S-BRM 6-9” with notched legs, got it off EBay. Rifle came with a Harris SLM 9-13” bipod with notched legs, will sell if you want it.

The sling is a Turner Saddlery 1907 style All Weather Sling (AWS) in olive color. The upper sling swivel is an Uncle Mike’s quick detachable mil-spec that is attached to the bipod. The original front sling swivel on the XM-3 stocks could not be used because the “S” Lock on the bipod got in the way so the UM’s detachable swivel was used. This rifle stock has a stud instead of a front swivel probably due to the issues of the original swivels. Butler Creek scope front and rear caps were added to the scope. I got the sling, sling swivel and scope caps from Midway USA.

Got everything put together a couple weeks ago and was finally able to take these photos of the complete setup today for this thread.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right Side

Left Side

Markings

Maybe one day I will add the proper Surefire FA762SS Suppressor. If you happen to know where one is available I would appreciate a heads up. That concludes the thread on my latest Tribute Sniper Rifle to my collection.
Scout

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
That’s a beautiful rifle. I was issued one of these back in 2010. It was a good gun for moving and grooving. When developing the rifle I think they missed the mark with the internal mag and scope selection, but overall it was a sound package that increased mobility without sacrificing much when compared to the m40s of the time which were in a transition period. It was just real comfortable to carry around due to the stock design.

This was the rifle that made me a believer in shorter barreled 308s. If I remember correctly it matched or exceeded the muzzle velocity of my m40a3 and had no issues going to a grand. It was a good all around rifle. I’m sure you will love how it shoots, and that you can hike it around because it doesn’t weigh scrap ton.

I have been eyeing builds just like this one on the interwebs, kicking the idea around of building one similar to my issues rifle just in left hand. Being that IBA is no longer around it makes things more difficult. Anyway I look forward to the range report. I’m sure it will be a shooter. While you are waiting on a suppressor mounting the SF brake on there is another option, it will help that bad boy from jumping all about the place. I know not to spec but it’s your rifle you can do what you want to make it more pleasing to shoot and no one knows it’s there with the suppressor in place.

Military camouflage Camouflage Marines Military person Wall

Yeah I know the barrel is sticking out, but it was a hasty position built out of necessity.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@spsocicmcise thanks for the info, photo and your service.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Happy to contribute to your thread about an awesome rifle. Until i win the lotto or start a successful meth business I’m just gonna live vicariously through y’all that build/buy these accurate tributes. I’ll try to dig up some more pictures, but I wasn’t real big on taking pictures back then.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah I know the barrel is sticking out, but it was a hasty position built out of necessity.
No loophole formula needed for that shooting position, lol. The paint on the XM3 in your photo looks pretty close to my XM3 (before it was repainted by my friend). Where were you guys deployed? If you were in Fallujah it's possible that might be the same rifle that I have now!

Right Side

Left Side

Markings

Maybe one day I will add the proper Surefire FA762SS Suppressor. If you happen to know where one is available I would appreciate a heads up. That concludes the thread on my latest Tribute Sniper Rifle to my collection.
Scout
That's a great build, congrats! Not many people have XM3 clones, oddly enough there's probably more real USMC XM3's in private hands then clones! I bet your rifle shoots great, the 2112's at PWS really know how to build an accurate rifle. For a minty rifle the bolt has a decent amount of wear, I wonder if it's a real XM3 take-off bolt. Does the serial number on it match your receiver's serial number or are they mismatched? It would be really cool if it's an original bolt and has a mismatched serial number! Good luck on finding a silencer, I'm still trying to find one as well. Let me know if you need any pics of my rifle, in case you want to compare any characteristics with your rifle.

Here's my original XM3, it was issued to my friend when our sniper platoon (1/4 STA) was in Iraq. It was used by 3/6 before us (and possibly another unit before them) and by 1/7 after us. I have photos of my friend painting it when we were at Camp Baharia, I need to find those pics. Even though the XM3 was little more than a footnote in USMC sniper history, it actually influenced future rifles in the M40 series.

When these were issued side by side with the M40A3, Marines loved the lighter, shorter, suppressed rifle. But they hated the scope because it was a mil reticle with MOA turrets (scopes sometimes got pulled off the A3's and were then mounted on the XM3's). The lessons learned from the XM3 can be seen in the M40A6, but in my opinion they took a step backwards with the RACS chassis.

Even though the XM3 lacks detachable magazines and has a scope with mismatched features, it's an excellent rifle and I wish more people would clone them! I've owned 2 of them (I just sold one last week) and they're true tack drivers. I also love the simplicity of the XM3, it's almost like having a shorter M40A1 with a silencer and variable magnification. So, if you like the A1, you'll like the XM3!

Here's my rifle when a previous unit had it in Fallujah, this was the paint job it had when it was issued to my friend. This photo was taken in one of the huts at Camp Baharia, I recognize the floor tiles because I lived in one of those huts on and off for 7 months.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
No I doubt it’s the same one that one was relatively new. If I remember it had something under 200 rds in the gun book when I got it. That picture was taken in the Salaam Bazaar Afghanistan summer of 2010. I really am tempted to build something with that same stock it’s just has a good all around feel to it. I would eventually switch back to my m40a3 mainly due to the scope and when I grabbed that gun it just felt like home. Can’t say I’m a huge fan of the new A6 though. Everyone I have used the trigger felt like crap to point where I would glance down to see if I had forgot to take it off safe.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Cowtownscout I got to tell you the od green that McMillan uses for their stocks just looks awesome. It would be hard to order the mcm a1-3 or the a4 and not get it in od green. Are you gonna put on a high dollar rattlecan paint job or leave it as is?
Gas Auto part Personal protective equipment Machine Aerospace engineering

As time goes on the more I like the way an od green stock looks on a rifle with a black barrel and action.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Cowtownscout I got to tell you the od green that McMillan uses for their stocks just looks awesome. It would be hard to order the mcm a1-3 or the a4 and not get it in od green. Are you gonna put on a high dollar rattlecan paint job or leave it as is? View attachment 460797
As time goes on the more I like the way an od green stock looks on a rifle with a black barrel and action.
They look great painted and unpainted, he's going to have a difficult choice to make!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow thanks for all the great info and photos guys! The rifle will stay unpainted. Thanks for the complements on this clone rifle. I am a thrilled to be its care taker.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Wow thanks for all the great info and photos guys! The rifle will stay unpainted. Thanks for the complements on this clone rifle. I am a thrilled to be its care taker.
Glasses Smile Facial expression Vision care Coat

But if you ever feel like churching that thing up some krylon is only a few bucks, and if you don’t like it it’s gonna come off anyway.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Yes, I agree, It's amazing all the confluence in this thread:

1. CowtownScout found such a nice XM-3 replica that had been built by a 2112 at PWS.
2. Another member had 2 original XM-3s(!) and added his pics (only 52 of these rifles were built).
3. Another member used one in combat back in 2010 and posted a pic of it in theater.
4. And I just realized it was built by a 2112 that I met a few times back in 2016, Sgt T. Grace. (He's no longer stationed at Quantico, but he built M40A5 sniper rifles at that time, and we talked about the then-new M40A6s, etc. We also pulled targets together at a QSC match in 2016 as well).

Lots of neat coincidences.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts