M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know if i do a ton of research ill fine what im looking for then again maybe not. Any help is apreciatiaded.

I want to get involved in shooting long range service rifle with my M14 or any other military rifles. Im aware of Appleseed. I need some traning as well. Any help were to get started. and get some not so exepensive traning would be really awssome if I could be pointed in the right direction. I know the CMP can anyone explain there personal experience with them and a few other organizations. Does camp perry have traning etc.

Thanks fellas

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Appleseed is as good of place to start as any, you will get all the necessary basics. Many Appleseed instructors also shoot High Power and can point you in the right direction.

Many HP clubs put on clinics and will even loan out equipment sometimes. We just did one at our club, check with your local rifle clubs and see if they have something.

CMP puts on SAFS at the Nationals they have a beginner and advanced schools.

I'm a Appleseed Instructor and shoot HP. We are friendly folks "for the most part" GI6 The best way to get into HP is push the keyboard away load up the vehicle with guns & ammo and go out and do it.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I've stated this before, but

find a HP event, and show up, without any equipment. You can concentrate on what is going on, not on being 'safe'. Fill in on relay 4, go to the pits, pull a target, and learn how things go. Relay 3 might even let you fire a few fam (familiarization) shots. You'll be 'the guy who really wants to be a part' rather than 'that guy who pointed his rifle at me'. And there is always extra equipment around, either for sale or loan, to some one who is earnest. Best wishes, dave

·
Registered
532 Posts
Like Geeck said Appleseed is good start and CMP matches are fun and easy way to get into it. I run CMP marches at my club and people ask me what do I need. 1 rifle, 2 magazines, a old carpet or sleeping mat, spotting scope if you have it and eye and ear protection. That's it. Most local clubs are glad to have you show up and it is normally a walk and paste match. Which means there are no relays in the pits. That and if you tell them you are new to this someone will normally help you through it. Check out CMP at ODCMP.COM and go competition tracker. Go to upcoming matches and enter your state to see what is available, Good luck.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
As above, find local CMP or NRA rifle matches in your area and visit to learn and see what goes on. Most of the shooters at those matches are there for 'recreational competition', almost nobody views themselve as 'sniper', or 'tactical shooter'.

For 'training' books use public library for 'rifle marksmanship' and google.
Excellent basic rifle skills can be learned with a 22 rimfire at 100 yards.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey fellas i was thinking about going to camp perry in July whats your thoughts on all that. I have the basics down US Cavalry retired i use to be a range safety officer and a marksmanship instructor, b ut i was never a terrific shot even in the army.. but i do need to review some of them.

ANy thoughts on camp perrry can i can take beginning intermediate advaded in one whack?

Also i live in the eastern portion of new mexico. No gun clubs or anthing for 300 miles, IM thinking about starting a gun club. Maybe i can get appleseed to come out here?

THanks fellas

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I believe the SAFS and the advance training run concurrently. Now, as far going to Perry next month, go for it. You will enjoy the trip.

There would be a few of us on this forum who will be there.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Hey fellas i was thinking about going to camp perry in July whats your thoughts on all that. I have the basics down US Cavalry retired i use to be a range safety officer and a marksmanship instructor, b ut i was never a terrific shot even in the army.. but i do need to review some of them.

ANy thoughts on camp perrry can i can take beginning intermediate advaded in one whack?

Also i live in the eastern portion of new mexico. No gun clubs or anthing for 300 miles, IM thinking about starting a gun club. Maybe i can get appleseed to come out here?

THanks fellas
There's an Appleseed in El Paso:

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=7&id_event=2634

·
Registered
823 Posts
Start shooting your service weapon with its iron sights until you can hit targets as far as your eyes can see them.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe the SAFS and the advance training run concurrently. Now, as far going to Perry next month, go for it. You will enjoy the trip.

There would be a few of us on this forum who will be there.
Hey brother concurrently, im not sure how that is used that word. Are you saying that i can take couse after course etc. What is lodgeing like?

THanks sometimes you gota break it down for me, i was a scout in the army lol

·
Registered
2,708 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
+1 on all of the above advice.

I just started shooting HP this year and the path I took was;

1) Appleseed: Teaches good fundamentals and helps get your mind right on range safety during competitions.

2) M16/SAFS during the CMP Games: This helped me apply, build on and practice what I learned at the Appleseed. It also taught me to score targets.

3) CMP Games/Garand Matches: More learning and more practice

4) HP competitions: Same as number 3.

I can't tell you how friendly and helpful everyone is at these events. It's about as much fun going and visiting with these guys as it is shooting.

Stay on this forum. I don't post much but guys like Bamban are always helpful and give.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Oh and one last word of advice. Don't go out and buy all sorts of equipment right off. Work on your positions and basic marksmanship with your rifle. Just to give you example we had one guy who would show up for CMP matches with his old USMC jacket and old mat and a service grade M1 . All he shot was Greek surplus ball and scored from 450 -480 all the time. He would also show up at HP matches and give these guys with their NM AR's a run for there money. He was good and knew his rifle very well and had all the positions down pat. So it's not about what you can buy its how good you are.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
do i need a large caliber rifle to participate in KD? I have done KD when i was in the Military but its been a while im RUSTY. I have a M14 crazyhorse (in the shot) currently. I have a .22 tho

·
Registered
788 Posts
do i need a large caliber rifle to participate in KD? I have done KD when i was in the Military but its been a while im RUSTY. I have a M14 crazyhorse (in the shot) currently. I have a .22 tho
Probably 95% + use an AR in HP, so a large caliber rifle is not necessary for KD or Across-The-Course (XTC). You can learn fundamentals with a good .22LR and very good ammo at 50 yards. I wouldn't tackle 100 yards with it until you can read the wind.

By "concurrently" Nez meant that the SAFS beginning level and the Remington Advanced Marksmanship clinics at Perry during Nationals are held on the same days. You wouldn't be able to attend both at the same time. I'd highly recommend the SAFS for starters.

Eagle 1

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Depending on what distance they have to work with, it could be out to 400 or 500 yds. Either way it is "generally" (yes some folks shoot it with a bolt gun)... shot with a HP, semi auto, clip, or magazine fed rifle.

Reactions: daniel17319
1 - 20 of 26 Posts