M14 Forum banner

What should I trade my G27 for?

Trading my G27. Can't decide on what to get though.

3926 Views 32 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  tonyben
I can't decide what to get. I already have a P226 in 40, a P228, a GSR-1911, a Buckmark, a Ruger MKI and a G-17.

The G27 was my carry piece until I realized it was a lemon.

Here are the options I am interested in:
A German triple serial numbered stamped slide P226
A German triple serial numbered stamped slide P220
A G22
A G23
A G19
A Buckmark Whisper (threaded barrel Buckmark)
A Beretta Nano

Considerations:
I already have the IWB holster for G-series pistols (C-Tac). I can learn to carry the P228 but I'm on the fence. I've been longing for a German 220 & 226 for years! I don't have carry holsters for the Sigs. I do have a High Noon holster for my GSR. It's an OWB leather slide guard and it sits really flat. I carry it if I'm wearing a heavy sweater and a jacket. I was going to spend $100 to get my Buckmark threaded and then another $40 for a fiber optic front sight but I can probably just do a one to one trade for the whisper which is already set up just like I want it. I wouldn't mind having 2 Buckmarks.

What to do?!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2,751 Posts
Tony,
I posted my thoughts in your thread re the G 27 vs G23,
ESPECIALLY THE ULTRA SHORT G27 RECOIL SPRING,
VS the LONGER, more flexible G23 spring.

I have owned a couple of hundred different pistols in my life time,
but right now I own only one pistol ...
a B]Gen 3 Glock G23 .[/B]
It does everything |I want a pistol to do,
although dropping in a .357 SIG barrel, and bolting it into a PDW conversion can be fun too.

Here are some pics with a G22 that was chambered in .357 SIG ... NEATO!!

My current G23 was bought used, an EX-police trade in, which as usual was carried lots and shot little. It is showing a bit of holster wear, but it also came with the police issue night sights, which still glow nicely. This gen 3 Glock has the rail, so I can hook up my pistol light to it, and when it sits around at night, the light is usually on the pistol.

I sold my G 23 .40/9 mm conversion barrel and my extra G19 mags, which were all that was needed to shoot 9mm in a G23. I regret this sale, and am looking for another G23 .40/9mm barrel. Shooting 9mm in the G23 some times makes sense.

just one man's opinion,
YPMMV
LAZ 1
[;)

· Registered
6,654 Posts
I'd get something entirely different. How about a Colt SAA or clone? How about a S&W Model 19, 28, 586/686 etc.?

Of the choices listed I'd get a German 220 or 226.

· Registered
4,104 Posts
I voted for the P220 as I carried one for several years before I was an LEO and then carried it as my duty gun for 12 years.

I'm doing a G22 primary/G27 backup/off duty carry right now. I have a couple of G23's but they seem to recoil more than either the G22 or the G27 for some reason. Our detectives started out carrying G23's and apparently they had the same issue beacuse they all traded them in for either G27's or G22's.

· Retired Admin
I lost all my firearms in the Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
22,988 Posts
What should I trade my G27 for?
You missed an option tonyben! Other.DI5

· Registered
908 Posts
I voted for the P220 as I carried one for several years before I was an LEO and then carried it as my duty gun for 12 years.

I'm doing a G22 primary/G27 backup/off duty carry right now. I have a couple of G23's but they seem to recoil more than either the G22 or the G27 for some reason. Our detectives started out carrying G23's and apparently they had the same issue beacuse they all traded them in for either G27's or G22's.
That's why I got rid of my G23...wow, almost 20 years ago. Shooting 155's through that gun was downright painful. My 27 had a lot less felt recoil.

· Registered
1,783 Posts
I'd second the "none of the above" option

The 1911 is the #1 pistol choice in my book. If you didn't have a Brown, Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, or something like those. Maybe it is time to treat yourself to one.

· Super Moderator
12,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dprice, unless I'm misreading your comment, you are suggesting I keep it. I'm done troubleshooting it and I won't have confidence in it for quite some time; even if it was "fixed". I don't have this problem with any other firearm I own.
I'm considering a 9mm since it will be cheaper to run through its paces.

Thanks for the encouragement though.

I'm only interested in picking up these pistols and nothing else really grabs my attention. Maybe a Beretta, but that's if I really stretch my thinking.

For some reason, I've never been a fan of compact 1911's.

Tony.

· Registered
597 Posts
If you have to have a 9mm- may I suggest the 226. I know you already have one. I have had 4 over the years. I keep selling them, and then buying another. It has no vices. What's good enough for the SAS, the Seals and uncounted other elite force operators will always be good enough for me. But then- I'll bet you know that already.

· Registered
4,744 Posts
I take it this Glock 27 is your chosen CCW piece and it is letting you down. This is very unusual because Glocks are normally as reliable as a brick paper weight. You might call Glock and advise them about the problems with your 27 and see what they advise.

I'm a retired LEO firearms instructor, who was a Glock Armourer for years and in my experience I have never seen this problem with a Glock that wasn't shooter induced due to limp wristing, defective magazines, crappy ammo or broken/defective parts.

Have you taken your Glock completely apart and examined each part, including looking closely at the extractor to make sure that it isn't chipped or damaged? Have you ever dropped a round into the chamber and let the slide slam shut on it? If so you may have chipped the hook on the extractor. The extractor on semi autos are designed for the round to ride up under the extractor hook as the round is chambered and not jump over an already chambered round.

There is a firing pin liner in the slide, have you ever taken it out and completely degreased the firing pin tunnel? The firing pin tunnel must be absolutely dry or gunk will build up in there and cause problems.

I'm sure that you and I could sit down and disassemble your weapon and then lube it correctly and get your pistol to play as designed? A Glock pistol requires very little lubrication in a few select places.

I found a Youtube video on how to lube a Glock that will give you the basics.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc[/ame]

Here's a Glock Armourers manual in PDF form for further information.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7xE4kMKz10pY28yIA&sig2=7c7UsOhg9K00lvOW9DZZCg

It would be a real shame for you to have to get rid of your 27 since it is already bought and paid for and it's impossible to wear out a Glock. Good luck and don't give up so easily on your Glock. It can be easily and simply fixed. If else fails call Glock and see what they will do to help you.

7th

· Registered
2,085 Posts
I have both a Glock 19 and 23. I would pick the 19 hands down. I shoot it way better than a 23 and the ammo is cheaper to practice with and there are some good 9MM selfdefence ammo now a days.

· Registered
857 Posts
Caliber will make the decision for you, but i say the SIG or the SIG

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.