M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I would like to thank our Range Officer for providing us with this particular forum for the discussion of "goodies of all kinds" in general from ammo .. mags .. scopes .. bipods .. slings .. cleaning equipment .. gadgets and do-dads of all kinds ...

Other than what one can break down from old belt ammo for the Sixty does anyone know if and where any tracers in .308 may or even can be obtained. I recently acquired a handful or two but its quite old ... LC Sixties stamped stuff but I had some from before and it worked fine considering its age.

Never really understood the workings of tracer rounds either if anyone would like to share their knowledge here as I find them interesting. In combat a bit dangerous but interesting none the less.

TIA

Six

·
Registered
120 Posts
Six, there is a company that sells new tracers in 7.62, 5.56, .30 cal, .30 Carbine and also 45 ACP. Can't remember their name but I'll find it for ya. I also see tracers in bandoleers at the shows here in Texas fairly regular.

You are corectamundo about being dangerous, ya can see where you're firing, but they can see where you're firing from also.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
At night I always liked the sizzlers that fell off the projectile as they head for the target. They'd fly in all directions. Looked really cool at night 8O :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
53 Posts
They're cool but shure can light up the ole sagebrush fires. A lot of ranges here in Ohio won't let you shoot them due to brush/grass fire problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tracers are very cool! I alway's loved to sit in the grass, watching Leopard 2 MBT firing their coaxial FN MAG's with 900 rounds p/m in the night. I made some nice photo's of it. Maybe that I can find some! If I find them, I'll let you know.

Greets,

Roger

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a little bit of knowledge as to how they work. Magnesium is the key, and I think its in the tip of the bullet, although I'm not sure. When its fired, it ignites, and if you ever saw a little magnesium strip on fire, you'd know it could blind ya its so damn brigt, so I imagine just enough of it to create a trail following the bullet is packed in there somehow...watch mail call reruns, someone asked that and R. Lee gave a good explanation. I remember it from one of the many 5th Marine sniper books I read, though I can't remember which one, I think "Dear Mom".

::edit:: Alright, no more FNG for me!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tracers have the illuminating comound IN the bullet. I have somewhere the right chemical formula, but I can't find it. It's basicly build up like this (from bottom to point og bullet):
-disc
-starter (makes the traces burn after it's left the barrel)
-tracer compound.

The top of the bullet is red tipped, to identicate it's a tracer. Some people think that THAT is the tracer 8O , don't worry, it's only paint.
I saw one time a forrestfire caused by tracers from a MAG MG in the summer, but it's not realy build to start a fire. I saw on a movie (Deadly Weapons?) a guy shoot with 5,56mm and 7,62mm tracers on a full fueltank from a car. Nothing :cry: happened.

Tracers give the shooter in night a identication where he's firing at, and works as a spotter for other shooters. This is also usefull at daytime.

Greets,

Roger

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Roger ...

Ya might want to click that little box that says something like " Remember me each time I visit this site" and that should eliminate your "Guest" appearance ...

I received your pics on the tracer fire and will post here as soon as I get them resized and fixed up. Thanks sir ... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pics of tracer fire were submitted by member "Dutchman2" who happens to get lost and posts via "Guest" on occasion ... :)

Thanks Roger ... :wink:

Six Out!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me see if this helps :D ... From one day to the other, I became a "guest" :cry: !

It's alway fun to see what a bullet realy does, after it is fired. You can see the bullet drop and the bounze after it hits the ground/ target.
All the small red lines are from the FN MAG, firing 7.62mm rounds with a rate of 850/ 900 rounds per minute.. The distance is around the 500 and 900 meters. I don't know it for sure, because I made this photo's in 1997.
The Main Gun is a 120mm Kinetic Energy dart, that travels with a speed og 1800 yards per second!
Note: You can see the vibration in the tracer line. That's caused by the airpressure of the blast. We where only 10 meters away from the Leopard!

Greets,

Roger

·
Registered
19 Posts
Last test for this day!....

·
Registered
19 Posts
:D Gentlemen, I'm back! No more guest!!!

greets,

roger

·
Registered
939 Posts
Dutchman,

The 120mm is pretty neat when it fires, isn't it?

As a career tanker guys, maybe I'm a little used to it...but I thought I'd share the Overpressure Caution Area for a 120mm blast; that is, injury/death can occur to unprotected/unaware soldiers should they be within this area due to both overpressure and discarding sabot petals.

Check it out: the area is 400 meters in width, by 1000 meters in length from the end of the gun tube!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jeff Bartlett at www.gibrass.com has pulled tracers for a good price. Very few of them have pull marks and those that are marked are light. The are sized to insure concentricity. I just bought 1000 for $120. Excellent prices on unfired brass too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tracers

Other than military surplus , the only manufacturer I now of that makes commercial tracers is Talon ammunition. I think they are around $129.99 for 400 loaded rounds and they also manufacture AP, API, and APIT if you like shooting at steel. Oh yeah, I almost forgot! The rounds are coated in magnesium at the base of the projectile. That is how they glow. As far as I Know the red or orange identifier ont the tip is just to identify the round as a tracer, Could be wrong though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have noticed that the M62 Tracer (7.62) projectile has a "primer" at the rear end of the projectile that ignites the tracer compound when the round is fired. The M25 Tracer (.30cal M2) has a visible compound at the rear of the projectile that ignites about 70 yards out from the muzzle. We have some lake front property in upstate WI which is fairly remote and once and a while I'll take the M1 and fire a few tracers across the lake and watch em skip over the water. It looks way cool and reminds me of WW2 Guadacanal footage!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts