M14 Forum banner

Torque wrench recommendations?

4K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  andyh1956 
#1 ·
What are your recommendations for a good inch/pound torque wrench for gun smith work, that can handle Common, Phillips, hex and Allen head bits?

Thanks for any suggestions.

#3 ·
I recently got a Wheeler FAT wrench that comes with 9 different bits and a quarter inch adapter for sockets. Works great for scope installation and I should of gotten one sooner as I have boogered up a few sets of scope rings.

Max torque is 65 inch pounds which will do most of what you need. But for the gas plug obviously you need an automotive type torque wrench. So you need both.

#14 ·
After returning two torque wrenches to Harbor Frieght because neither of them worked, I bought a Craftsman; it has worked perfectly for 6 years. I also have a Wheeler for the small stuff and it's great as well. I actually went to a Harbor Freight store once and tried all their torque wrenches just to see if any of them were good; not a one, they were all effectivly just $22 breaker bars. Buy once cry once.

#28 ·
I have five torque wrenches, 3/4" all the way down to a 65lb tee handle. But for gun smithing chores I use a Snap On torque meter. Looks like this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-3-8...orque-Wrench-600-in-lb-700cm-Kg-/252535698651
It is a reset-able dial type that doesn't need re-calibrating on a regular basis. If yall are using spring handle click type be aware that when stored they should be un-loaded. I have spent more on keeping my wrenches calibrated that the tools originally cost!USN3
When I am building a 600 hp diesel engine I have to stand behind my work & I cant scrimp on TMDE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.