M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone. I have been reading Threads on this forum for a while and have seen excellent answers from several members and came to acquire knowledge and would like to start this new Thread with a topic that I have seen on several forums but since time never stops and new rifles enter the market so here it is... I will purchase a new .308 rifle until the end of this year and am between a few options and would appreciate your input on your top 5 choices for a .308 rifle semi auto that could be tactical with excellent accuracy. I am between the following options and since I am prepared to invest around 5k on it I wanted to make I am making the best choice so all instructive comments comments are welcome and will be greatly appreciate especially tech details, I will be looking forward for your comments.
So I am now between the following equipment:
. H&K 762 A1;
. LM308SS;
. SR-25;
. LaRue Tactical OBR;
. Les Baer match;

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Do you want any other suggestions ? If so I have two.
Rhinoarms RA-5R. Mine is a Series II and was the display rifle at the 2013 Shotshow. Many (over 2K++) rounds later it still just flat shoots one ragged hole at zero @ 100 and I wish I'd shoot it more but I've got more than 2 .308 rifles.
POF P308. I have a 2012 14.5" model that IS my truck gun. 'nuff said.

·
Registered
All gun laws are unconstitutional
6,827 Posts
Hello to everyone. I have been reading Threads on this forum for a while and have seen excellent answers from several members and came to acquire knowledge and would like to start this new Thread with a topic that I have seen on several forums but since time never stops and new rifles enter the market so here it is... I will purchase a new .308 rifle until the end of this year and am between a few options and would appreciate your input on your top 5 choices for a .308 rifle semi auto that could be tactical with excellent accuracy. I am between the following options and since I am prepared to invest around 5k on it I wanted to make I am making the best choice so all instructive comments comments are welcome and will be greatly appreciate especially tech details, I will be looking forward for your comments.
So I am now between the following equipment:
. H&K 762 A1;
. LM308SS;
. SR-25;
. LaRue Tactical OBR;
. Les Baer match;
Why not a M14, FAL Or HK91?

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I would get an LMT or SCAR 17 and put a nightforce scope on it. They are readily available, accurate, and reliable.

If you are an absolute accuracy nut then JP, GAP and Larue (OBR model) are all capable of 1/2MOA or better in the right hands.

POF should also get an honorable mention but they have funky handguards, spotty QC and frankly a piston on an AR is unnecessary. But if you get a good one it will run like a beast and shoot as well as anything else out there.

Why not a M14, FAL Or HK91?
He wants "excellent accuracy".

I don't think I've seen a les baer AR10, the few range reports on the internet have all been that they make bugholes though. My favorite is the LMT. The chrome lined model is 1MOA accurate, stainless is better, and you can go out and buy one today all over the place vs waiting for 4-8 months with the other companies (I am not patient, a month for me is a looooong time). Yeah it's 'heavy' but really no heavier than a standard M1A. My loaded M1A with a leupold M3 weighs just as much as my buddy's LMT with a nightforce on it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I am looking for reliability, accuracy on a semi auto. I believe all suggestions give me that in different doses.
John Crusher: Thanks for the suggestion John I will definitely look for more info on the RA-5R.
The Shooter: No particular reason just based on research those 5 were consistently the names on all forums and I was looking for wisdom since I am new in the 7.62 world.
noob14s: I've heard a lot about the Scar 17 S but I heard about some problems and it made me lost interest. Do you have experience with this rifle? Have you heard about any issues?Will check JP and GAP.
LM8, LaRue and HK 762 are the ones I am most inclined so far but still trying to make up my mind. Will check your suggestions and appreciate all inputs, thanks for taking the time to help me. Any input and suggestions are much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
The SCAR is a nice, lightweight accurate battle rifle.

It might also help if you said what sort of features you'd like to have and what sort of scope you want to use.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Will all five be used for bench rest shooting? If so, pick one out of a hat. My bet, non of the five will make it through a battle rifle class without stoppages. Jmo. If ur looking for battle rifle, well, this forums title will do nicely.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
From your list I would pick the Larue. If I was buying I would be patient and look at the PX listings and buy TWO M1As for the price of the Larue. Or build your own SR-25 clone and buy a M1A for the same price. After you get those, then save for the Larue. But then again that's probably why my safe is full... Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
The best in that caliber have already been built and it takes patience until a shooter dies, retires, or for whatever reason lets one go. Stocks and USGI parts are the chokepoints. None of those rifles listed is as good as a tricked-out U.S. M14 was. I'd take the SR25 if I had to pick one for accuracy and reliability.

·
Registered
139 Posts
LMT is the way to go. Customer service is excellent. You also can change barrels for different Ammunition is that is an option for you.

JMPWNG2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys thanks a lot for all your suggestions! I definitely came to right place for help. Options are many but I am getting feedbacks that are helping me a lot. I am patient I waited for pretty much all my guns and I have a feeling this will be no exception. My expectations for this rifle are great and like I said before I want something that has excellent reliability and , shoots with expectational accuracy in a semi auto format. I am not sure if I will need to increase my budget for it but within this range would be my preference. I just want one on this caliber (well we will see...) and purchase maintenance parts since I hate having an issue and not being able to resolve it. Regarding what I want to install on it, I will keep it simple, will have a bi pod and optic installed. I was thinking about a Trijicon Acog 4 X 32 but suggestions would be great. Once again thanks for taking the time to help the new guy here. God bless all of you.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Google up Billy Birdzell and his DPMS Recon G2 in .308. Yeager is pretty proud of it and he hates .308 AR style rifles.
Yeager is a DB. Reid left him because of this simple fact.
Larue all the way though, if I had to pick one. PredatOBR

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Hey guys thanks a lot for all your suggestions! I definitely came to right place for help. Options are many but I am getting feedbacks that are helping me a lot. I am patient I waited for pretty much all my guns and I have a feeling this will be no exception. My expectations for this rifle are great and like I said before I want something that has excellent reliability and , shoots with expectational accuracy in a semi auto format. I am not sure if I will need to increase my budget for it but within this range would be my preference. I just want one on this caliber (well we will see...) and purchase maintenance parts since I hate having an issue and not being able to resolve it. Regarding what I want to install on it, I will keep it simple, will have a bi pod and optic installed. I was thinking about a Trijicon Acog 4 X 32 but suggestions would be great. Once again thanks for taking the time to help the new guy here. God bless all of you.
ACOG is more of a battle rifle scope...do you want a battle rifle? Or do you want a target rifle (and don't care too much what it weighs)? Or do you want something in between? And what is your idea of exceptional accuracy?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was aiming for 1/2 MOA @ 100 yards (or better...) and yes I am looking for the best of both worlds (as close as possible of course). I am willing to compromise on weight but of course if I can get the same performance on a lighter equipment even better. One other thing I am not a very good shooter, although I am working on it in the range but in the mean time I will need all the help I can get from my rifle and scope (LOL). Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I was aiming for 1/2 MOA @ 100 yards (or better...) and yes I am looking for the best of both worlds (as close as possible of course). I am willing to compromise on weight but of course if I can get the same performance on a lighter equipment even better. One other thing I am not a very good shooter, although I am working on it in the range but in the mean time I will need all the help I can get from my rifle and scope (LOL). Thanks guys.
I too am looking for the best of both world since i cant affors a larue at the moment i chose to build a DRD a 16" barrel for multiprpose light weigh and have a 20" barrel for long range initially was thinking 6.5cm for LR work but now leaning towards a m110 type barrel or krieger considering barrel swap takes 30 seconds and requires no tools with a U762 BRD build kit it was a no brainer, I can have two rifles in one for $100 less than a larue

·
Registered
302 Posts
I can't speak on your other 4 choices, but the LaRue OBR is extremely accurate with Federal Gold Medal Match in either 168 or 175 grain.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Couple of years ago I was looking to buy a precision, semi-auto .308 to use when I teach certain types of Sniper courses. I looked at everything available, shot most of them, and bought the JP Enterprises LRP-07. That is a purchase I do not have a single regret about.

If I do my thing, she'll do better than .5MOA at 100yds. I've fired a 7-shot group that measured .45" using M118LR.

I got the 18" medium weight match barrel and she's been great with factory ammo out to 1,000yds, which is the furthest I've tried to shoot her as of yet. Highly accurate and perfectly reliable. I got the Low Mass Operating System and the Silent Captured buffer system, along with the JP small contour comp. The softest recoiling .308 I've ever shot.

Topped her with a Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42mm F1 in a Global Defense Initiative P-ROM L-Model mount. The perfect setup for a rig like this.

DRD Tactical makes some good stuff as well. I have the M762 and the Kivaari .338 Lapua, but I haven't had either long enough to post accuracy results yet. Thinking of getting a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel for the M762.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts