M14 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice range and great looking M1A...I bet you will get even better performance at 100yds with 175gr. handloads. Half the fun is finding the sweetspot for your particular rifle. Federal Gold Match is certainly the standard I use for comparative analysis.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sitting here at my lap top, not as much energy as I'd like after a hard day of work. I see this thread of "Took her out to 1k yards", and no kidding, my energy level soared in an instant lol. A thousand yards ! Man I've never even attempted it ! Beautiful pics of the range too. You Sir, have won the post of the month award with this one ! Outstanding shooting !

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congratulations and welcome into the growing 1k club! The only problem I’ve got with the long range rifle stuff is that it’s become a serious addiction. I had never fired a rifle past 200yds four years ago, until a friend of mine took me to a local property with steels set up from 300-850yds. That day I killed a very dumb and unlucky ground squirrel at 704yds (with a 168gr .308win, BTW), and I’ve been hooked badly ever since. Sooo much money and mental energy has been spent in the pursuit of smaller and further. Now I am working on 1 mile, but I have a lot to learn.

Congratulations again!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Love it! Thank you. I don’t think this has been asked yet, sorry if I missed it but what barrel do you have on that beautiful rifle? Thanks! Awesome pics, what a great day...

Mac.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Wow, I’m jelly. I’ve been wanting to shoot a thousand for years. I’m in NM and still nowhere to go :(. Congrats on the shoot and 🍻 for more to come.

·
Registered
621 Posts
99% of my shooting happens at 100 yards but last weekend I finally had a chance to push it out to 1k yards.

I had been hearing about Thunder Valley near Coshocton, OH For years and finally Made it out there. Wow is all I can say....can’t wait to go back

I took 2 rifles with me....my Supermatch that had recently received a new scope mount and my trusty 700AAC SD....both suppressed.

for some reason wasn’t hitting well at 400 but the M1A was drilling the steel.

I ended up sitting the 700 and decided to try the M1A at the 1k plate. First several shots were nowhere to be seen. I started to think it wasn’t going to happen. Then the owner of Thunder Valley, an accomplished sniper, came over and sat down...made two or three scope adjustments and immediately we had rounds landing near the target.

After only a few more adjustments.....the M1A was RINGING steel at 1k yards like it was a 100.

Never thought this would be possible but that thing produced like a champ.

Epic day and epic rifle.
Nice rifle setup; it's a great feeling of accomplishment to hit a target you can barely see especially when getting close to the max effective range of the caliber. That looks like a well set up range, and having someone really experienced to help with the small details to get you on target is great.

I went to Bangsteel (SW Virginia) a few years ago on my first long-range outing with a cousin and a couple of his friends. They were all shooting .308; two with customized R700's and one with an AR-10. I had my AR-15 6.5G. The process sounds a lot like what you did, get a good zero and then start walking out on the distance, learning to call wind, figuring holdover, etc. I made it to 1125, right at the point my rounds were going subsonic. I was shooting 123 grain; the other guys were all shooting 178's and made it out to 1200. We were requested to send info on what guns we were bringing and the load data for our ammo. The instructors had ballistics tables for us based on that and it was pretty close.

Haven't been that far out since, but have managed to make it to 800 yards on my own with what I learned. We were planning another trip for this summer, hope we can still do it. If so, I'm taking my M1A Loaded and see what I can do with it.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Love it! Thank you. I don’t think this has been asked yet, sorry if I missed it but what barrel do you have on that beautiful rifle? Thanks! Awesome pics, what a great day...

Mac.
It has a heavy kreiger barrel

21 - 28 of 28 Posts