M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99% of my shooting happens at 100 yards but last weekend I finally had a chance to push it out to 1k yards.

I had been hearing about Thunder Valley near Coshocton, OH For years and finally Made it out there. Wow is all I can say....can’t wait to go back

I took 2 rifles with me....my Supermatch that had recently received a new scope mount and my trusty 700AAC SD....both suppressed.

Since the Supermatch wasn’t zeroed I assumed it would probably be the 700 that would be the most likely to get out to 1K.

WRONG

We started at 200 and quickly got the Supermatch dialed in and then took both rifles to 300...then 400. The 700 for some reason wasn’t hitting well at 400 but the M1A was drilling the steel.

I ended up sitting the 700 and decided to try the M1A at the 1k plate. First several shots were nowhere to be seen. I started to think it wasn’t going to happen. Then the owner of Thunder Valley, an accomplished sniper, came over and sat down...made two or three scope adjustments and immediately we had rounds landing near the target.

After only a few more adjustments.....the M1A was RINGING steel at 1k yards like it was a 100.

Never thought this would be possible but that thing produced like a champ.

Epic day and epic rifle.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s a deer stand and we were warned to NOT shoot at it....off to the right, not visible in these pics was a 1 mile target. We tried a few at it but never saw anything land anywhere near it.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
I read the posts at a long range hunting website and all the experts there swear that you can't hit anything at 1000 yards with a .308 using 168gr ammo, I never bother trying to tell them that I used to do it fairly well with my Loaded model rifle because I know I'd be ridiculed for lying.

Glad you got a chance to stretch the rifle's legs, it's pretty satisfying when you find that it can be done. You'd find that the rifle will do it even better with 175gr match ammo.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thanks for posting this up Big, I wasn't familiar with that range. It's 45 minutes from home for me. When I get my standard back under 2MOA (went to 5MOA with the added unitized gas system, ugh) I'll have to check that range out. My range at home is out to 330 yards and I can shoot out to 680y next door but no steel over there to ring.

Do you think they'd laugh at me if I took my varmint AR? Got good dope in 50y increments out to 680.GI5

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for the post.

I can't get much beyond 600 m, but I have heard a number of shooters say things change A LOT past 600 m. Wind calls, elevation, minor zero adjustments, etc. really come into play at that distance. Would you say that is true, or were you just banging away with no issue?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
For the record...the rifle has a Smith Enterprises mount, Leopold mk 4 rings and a 4-16 Sig Tango scope. The ammo was 168grn Federal Gold Medal match..
Were you shooting FGMM in the 700 as well?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I believe any criticism of the 308/168g load at 1K comes from Long Range Match shooters attempting to keep the impacts in a 10" area or X ring or the 10 ring which is some twice that size. Not familiar with shooting steel targets and have no idea as to their dimensions. Years ago shot Palma Matches w/ M1A and did fine, but not with the 168's available then, SMK 175 was my choice.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very cool. Thanks for the post.

I can't get much beyond 600 m, but I have heard a number of shooters say things change A LOT past 600 m. Wind calls, elevation, minor zero adjustments, etc. really come into play at that distance. Would you say that is true, or were you just banging away with no issue?
We would get what I would describe as minor wind gusts and the round would land 4 feet from the point of aim. It was crazy

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Yes the 168 SMK bullet can perform decently at 1000 yards through an M1/M!a, but the weather conditions play a big part.
In situations of very high humidity (like Camp Perry in the summer), velocity is strongly affected.

Jay

1 - 20 of 28 Posts