M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My head is spinning with all the searching ive been doing on this board on barrels.

Currently I have the stock poly barrel, the groups I am able to shoot with it is 4 moa in stock form. I can shoot quarter sized groups at 100yds using my bolt gun and winchester white box ammo, that leads me to believe I can do better with this rifle.

Soon I intend to have a USGI bolt installed and was considering a rebarrel while im at it.

From what I gather I want chrome lined for durability and ease of cleaning. But I will be occasionally hunting with this rifle and while at the range I will want to shoot some of the heavier bullets at 400+ yds so I should get the 1:10 twist. All the chrome barrels seem to be 1:12 or 1:11

Now I unitized the gas cylinder and am going to scope it, but am I wasting my money with the accuracy enhancements if I am just going to use a chrome lined barrel?

Should I just get a 1:10 non chromed barrel and just live with the extra maintainence or go with a chromed 1:12 and relax about accuracy.

I need an asprin.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Is this a great country or what?
Unfortunately, you'll just have to draw your line in the sand.
My advice is go for the accuracy. The non-chromed bores aen't that hard to clean.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could just keep the polytech barrel on it. Then theres krieger or douglas, maybe mike rock.

The cleaning and durability are quie appealing to me. But the ability to shoot heavier bullets at longer ranges is also nice.

Maybe I should just email warbird, send him the rifle and tell him to surprise me. 8O

·
Registered
646 Posts
stainlesssteel

I'm 50 yrs old and started shooting when I was a kid and right now, all but one of my rifles has a stainless steel barrel. Heavier bullets? If you have a GI gas system that hasn't been accurized, switch to "grenade" mode by turning it off and you can launch just about anything you want. 200 grains for elk or mulies.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Josh said:
Now I unitized the gas cylinder and am going to scope it, but am I wasting my money with the accuracy enhancements if I am just going to use a chrome lined barrel?
Nope. The chrome lined barrels will shoot pretty good when the rest of the rifle is tightened up. If the majority of your shooting is going to be with surplus ammo, I'd get a 1:12". It will still be able to throw 175's pretty well.

Ty

·
Registered
980 Posts
Re: stainlesssteel

Biathlon said:
Heavier bullets? If you have a GI gas system that hasn't been accurized, switch to "grenade" mode by turning it off and you can launch just about anything you want. 200 grains for elk or mulies.
I think he was talking about the 168gr and 175gr match bullets, which need a faster twist to stabilize than the 144gr-149gr ball ammo that the 1:12 barrel was designed for.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Maybe before sinking much money in , change your ammo and try it again . Some milsurp is incredibily bad and some is incredibily good . Most of the chrome lined Chinese barrels shoot very well with many reports of 1.500" to 2.00" . Check out Smiths website in his comparison section and he mentions of coming across many Chinese barrels that will shoot 1 inch . Once you have ammo sorted out then tune and tighten . After that decide if you need a barrel .

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive tried 2 different batches of aussie and some port, with port shooting slightly better with groups around 3moa

I still havent tried the rifle with the new unitized cylinder as I am still waiting on a usgi gas plug, so that may tighten groups up more.

I may just get the USGI bolt installed and leave the barrel alone as it is the cheepest route but that still leaves me with a 1:12 twist.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
The M14 type rifle is a fairly accurate rifle, sometime very accurate rifle out of the box. Sometimes you get a not real great barrel just like any factory rifle. Sometimes you get a really great barrel. The thing about the M14 and other semi auto rifles is there are a lot of other things going on that can effect accuracy. If you decide you want to swap barrels, any of the barrels you mentioned should be fine. The 1:12 twist barrels are designed for ball ammo but shoot most heavier and lighter bullets pretty darn well. I have no trouble at all with stabilizing the 168 grain match bullets in my service grade barrel. It has been one of the most accurate rifles I have owned. I don't know how it does with the 175 grain bullets because I haven't tried them. I tried some pulled 30 06 AP black tips that were very long and they stabilized great. If you go with a none lined barrel, like stated above, they aren't that hard to clean and will last a almost as long as a chrome lined barrel before losing accuracy. The trick is getting your rifle to shoot to your barrels potential. Also, I'm not sure the thread are the same on a USGI plug as the Poly tech.

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
I know how you feel Josh. So many different barrels to choose from.
I have looked into upgradeing my barrel and decided to stick with my original Scout barrel.
It is very accurate and has only 1000 rounds through it. All Port.
If I ever wear it out I will go shopping for something as good or better than what I now have.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
The local M14 plumber builds match rifles with a 1:12" Kreiger. They shoot the 168's and 175's just fine. The 1:12" twist doesn't seem to keep people from shooting Master and High Master scores.

How does the rifle shoot with match ammo (168's)? That is the true measure.

If the rifle is not bedded, you're almost certainly going to get a much larger improvment by bedding your existing rifle/barrel than you will by just purchasing a top end barrel.

Lastly, shooting with iron sights is not as easy as with a scoped bolt gun. You need to make absolutely sure you are focussing on the front sight and not on the target. The target MUST be blurry. If you switch your focus back and forth between the sight and the target, the best you'll ever see is a 3-4 MoA group, regardless of how good the rifle is.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of the input.

I always transition to focusing on the front sight after I have brought the sight blade right under the target. I shoot my ar with irons and get about 2 moa out of it regularly using win white box.

I think I will just keep the poly barrel for now. And see how things work out after the bolt conversion is done. I can always get a new barrel installed later if i'm not satisfied. And this gives me a few extra $ for a nice optic setup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.