M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It’s got a really nice 12/54 Springfield barrel that I hate to replace. The rifle is capable of 100 on the Dirty Bird target 3”. I zeroed it today with Hornady match ammo. Here you can see the front over hangs the base by about 1mm to left. The rear is 2 hash marks right. I guess I could overhang front a little more but it looks goofy. What would cause this? barrel not bored true?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
How much torque did the barrel require? Excessive torque can affect barrel pointing. An out of true receiver face can do the same thing. A bad barrel, perhaps? Interference in the stock somewhere? Barrel not properly indexed?

Tony.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for comments. I bought this rifle in the 80s from a very well known company that still prepares match rifles. It was in storage a long time. Now I have a little knowledge to discuss the issue. The builders comment was send it in but we don’t know if we’ll fix it under warranty. Hopefully they can save the Springfield barrel.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Does the front sight look canted(angled) to one side? This could indicated a barrel that is not indexed correctly. If you can't see it with the sight on, then take it off and see if the gas cylinder flat for the front sight looks flat or angled with the rifle sitting as straight as you can. FWIW

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Easy check is to use a few small levels or some straight bar stock and see if the rear sight base front sight base are parallel.
This you can check pretty easily
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klo8S-bC6Ms"]barreling a M1 Garand Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

·
Forum Jester
6,918 Posts
get 2 equally sized pieces of flat stock. find a flat surface/table/kitchen cab by sink,etc. turn rifle over with the 2 rear sight ears on the metal. if it doesn't rock side to side ,it's straight.

Reactions: Douglas Haig

·
Registered
372 Posts
You can strip it down to the barreled receiver and the gas cylinder. Put it in a vice and carefully secure it. Then put the level on the flats of the receiver and the gas
cylinder and compare the results.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Front sight does look to me to be canted in that first pic

What do you think, looking straight on at it from front or rear?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts