M14 Forum banner

Tonto isn't here

1135 Views 5 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  huntinghawk
But here's some tantos. Top one I tried something different with a thumb groove ontop. Some of the handles still need worked but all the blades have been tempered & set in the handles. About 4" blades.

HH
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,531 Posts
Aloha HH:

Do you know if there is a signficance in the sharp angle of the point versus a flowing pot belly, etc.? Just wondering. I would think that on a sword, it would be good for poking or stabbing strokes, but not sure on a hand knife...

In any case, looking GOOD!!! Geez, you're keeping busy, huh?

Aloha,

Tom O.

· Rest in Peace
21,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two advantages in this type knife that I know of. First the blade is stonger & the point less likely to snap off. Second is the short front edge is honed finner then the main edge which gives you two different cutting surfaces. IE: Main edge might be honed at 25 degrees & the short front edge at 20 degress or less.
The pot belly in a samari style sword is actually caused in the tempering process.
HH

· Rest in Peace
21,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This might give you guys an idea what I'm planning on. Making the tantos knives with 4" blades. They will then be matched up to chopping size blades. Long piece of leaf spring is size that will be used for the big chopping blades.
HH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.