5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beirut
October 23, 1983

Six

·
Registered
326 Posts
Served with SGTMAJ Fredrick Douglass for three years '75-78. He survived 4 tours in VN. Had more bullets holes in his hide than any I ever met.

RIP brother.

·
Registered
136 Posts
thank you for the reminder. it's all too easy to allow these important dates to go unnoticed.

i place a similar importance on March 23. C 1/2, a unit i served with on active duty in 1996-97, suffered significant casualties that day during the (second) invasion of Iraq

God bless our fallen brothers.

my prayers are now with one of my brothers who after 10 years went back on active duty in the Army. he just deployed to Afghanistan. it's difficult for me when this happens, as i feel i should go with him. time, health and present responsibilities prevent my doing so.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I remmeber when that happened it was 3days after my 11th-birthday sunday was the day. it was a confussing day cuz our neighbor owend the salon across the street which burndown then while watching that event.the news interrupted with the bombing,everthing stoped! cuz my parents had friends stationed thier. the friend was a veteran of nam and wanted to go life in the marines went to Beirut and never heard from him again?GI4 I presumed he died, I found letters from him when he was in nam, white envelopes with red,white,blue going arround it.adressed to my parents, mom would cryGI4. finding out he was my moms last boyfriend before she married my dad. But they were always good friends!!.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I remember the day, later in the week got a couple of the Old Breed at the barbershop to explain exactly what it was we were doing over there and why it happened. Their explanation helped turn a tragic loss into an understanding of sacrifice, and helped lead a certain young dinosaur to the doorstep of our beloved Corps.

Prayers to the memory of our fallen brothers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts