M14 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys:

I'm looking for somw feedback frrom TFL!!! I just aquired a NM Springfield Armory rifle. It was in an estate sale and I was able to get my hands on it.

It looks like it wants to shoot so far the best group has been the 168 SMK's and 4 rounds into 3/4 MOA, 5 into 1 MOA.

The question I have pertains to the stock and its condition. The previous owner usd this gun as a truck gun (I assume) and the stock has quite a few bruises, dings, etc. I have been refinishing my old Win 94 and my old Garand stock in the last few weeks, just thinking if I should start on the NM??

Or should I just leave it alone?? I am torn as what to do, not sure if refinishing the stock with Tung oil will reduce the resale value??

Your opinions please!!!

Thanks in advance!!
later

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Apparently you got lucky on wood to metal fit. That's worth tight groups. I'd just clean up the stock you've got when you need to take the rifle apart anyway for inspection, lube, etc. A wet rag and a steam iron can do wonders on beat-up wood. So can Tung and fine steel wool.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I would do a couple soft oil scrubs which consists of a 50/50 mix of BLO and Mineral Spirits and #0000 steel wool, as far as the dents and dings you can steam them out with a iron and wet rag but I always like the character of the dents. The oil scrub will do wonders for that tired old wood and after 2-3 scrubs you can either let it go or do a couple layers of Tom's 1/3 Mix

1 - 3 of 3 Posts