M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "loaded" rifle came with the 1/11 twist medium weight, I'm thinking of rebarreling with the same but with a 1/10 twist.
Do it or let a sleeping dog lie? I'm using mostly 168 or 175 SMK.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Leave it alone, When I rebarrel with a Kreiger heavy I usually get a 1-11, that will shoot anything up to 190's if you are so inclined.

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Rgr on the 1-11.
Don't let that sleeping dog lie! Get that sucker up and give her some training. You will be surprised what that loaded can do with a trained monkey pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
A twist of between 10-12 will work fine. Accuracy primarily depends on the quality of the barrel, not the twist.
About testing results - "of the specific barrels that were tested, THE PARTICULAR BARRELS with a xx twist rate were more accurate" - and the testing was done xxx years ago.

·
Registered
9,513 Posts
I'm in the don't rebarrel camp, especially if you use those bullets. You might see a small improvement if you used heavier bullets but I doubt if it would be enough to justify switching barrels, unless you intend to compete for group size (as opposed to point value). How a barrel is fitted makes a big difference in the end result and I think that the chances of making things worse is just about as good as making things better.

Reactions: nf1e

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Years ago, conventional wisdom dictated that you needed a 1/12 for 150's, a 1/11 for 168's and a 1/10 for 175's.

Thousands of shooters have proven that false. The quality of the barrel, assembly and bullets are far more important.

Now, if I wanted a dedicated 800 to 1k meter rifle, I would certainly go with the 1/10. For anything closer, a 1/11 or 12 will serve you just fine.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My "loaded" rifle came with the 1/11 twist medium weight, I'm thinking of rebarreling with the same but with a 1/10 twist.
Do it or let a sleeping dog lie? I'm using mostly 168 or 175 SMK.
If you have a skinny GI barrel, maybe.... 1/11 is fine. Mine is 1/12 Heavy Keriger and will hold 5/5 150 SMKs inside a 3" shoot-n-c at 200 yds. Scope of course.... I'm old!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rgr on the 1-11.
Don't let that sleeping dog lie! Get that sucker up and give her some training. You will be surprised what that loaded can do with a trained monkey pulling the trigger.
Oh that dog will be at the range as much as I can, and this well trained monkey will get as much out of it as I can!!
Thanks all for the replies, I'll keep her as she is.😁🙈🙉🙊

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Years ago, conventional wisdom dictated that you needed a 1/12 for 150's, a 1/11 for 168's and a 1/10 for 175's.

Thousands of shooters have proven that false. The quality of the barrel, assembly and bullets are far more important.

Now, if I wanted a dedicated 800 to 1k meter rifle, I would certainly go with the 1/10. For anything closer, a 1/11 or 12 will serve you just fine.
Can i ask why you would go with a faster twist for longer distance?
Would you not want the slowest twist that will stabilize in order to take advantage of more velocity with out imparting un necessary RPMs?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Would you not want the slowest twist that will stabilize in order to take advantage of more velocity with out imparting un necessary RPMs?
Because you'll probably be shooting heavier bullets at long range, so pick a twist that is suited to those bullets.

In reports on the subject, it was found that 1-12 can handle up to 180 gr bullets, 1-10 was a better choice.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
The RPM's are necessary to stabilize heavier bullets, which are necessary to buck the wind at longer distances.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The RPM's are necessary to stabilize heavier bullets, which are necessary to buck the wind at longer distances.
Would not velocity along with a stable bullet be better?
Heck why not run a 1:7 or 1:8 twist

i have a 1:10 on my M1a build and it shoots great when I do.
I also run cast and the 1:10 is a little fast but it works.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I doubt if anyone makes a 7 or 8 twist in .30 caliber for an M14, I think you can get an 8 twist for long range .30 caliber bolt guns that want to shoot the 240 grain match bullets. This Berger calculator is helpful in determining what twist is needed for their bullets, any numbers known for other bullets can be plugged into this calculator. I think all that's need is enough twist to stabilize the heaviest bullet you would want to shoot. Also I don't believe twist rate affects velocity appreciably.
Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets

John

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Would not velocity along with a stable bullet be better?
Heck why not run a 1:7 or 1:8 twist
Some years back the Army and Navy gurus figured out that a 175 SMK leaving the barrel at 2600 fps would provide stability out past 800 meters. They found the 1/10 twist to be optimum at achieving this.

I suspect a faster twist was causing instability with M80 ball ammunition, which is used in an emergency.

·
Registered
61 Posts

All my m14 clones have 1/11 twist barrels except for my first, which has a 1/12 barrel. Krieger barrel helped me make the decision to go with 1/11 twist barrels, the Krieger representative I talked to said the 1/11 twist barrel was the barrel for those that could not decide between 1/12 twist and 1/10 twist.

Brian

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
I am on my way to seeing for myself. I have me a Kreiger hvy in 1/11 in a JAE and am sending off my other to rebarrel with a Kreiger hvy 1/10 in my other JAE

1 - 20 of 24 Posts