M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This doesn't look all that great. As they say, let no tragedy go to waste.

Canada expected to announce ban on assault-style weapons

Canada's government is set to announce a ban on assault-style weapons following a deadly shooting in Nova Scotia this month that killed 22 people.

Officials told The Associated Press on Wednesday that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's administration will announce the ban before the week's end, though the key provisions have already been decided by his Cabinet.

Among the weapons set to be banned include the AR-15 and the Ruger Mini-14. It wasn't initially clear whether Canadian citizens who currently own such weapons will be required to turn them in.

·
Registered
Save the Country - Vote Libertarian
181 Posts
Did he even use an AR? Not that it matters when you're knocking on people's doors and shooting them when they answer

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The guy was impersonating a police officer or mounty so probably just needed a service type pistol to look the part. Even his car was enough to fool people into lowering their guard.

Has the type of firearm been released or leaked yet?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
From the reports that I have read he used a service revolver/pistol... no mention of any AR/or other "assault rifle" (heavens I dislike that term).

This will all fail we know. As 3d printing expands, there will be a new industry in Canada...

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From the reports that I have read he used a service revolver/pistol... no mention of any AR/or other "assault rifle" (heavens I dislike that term).
A friend just forwarded me this...

A glimpse into the gunman’s arsenal as police reveal more details about Nova Scotia shooting massacre

At a press conference in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, RCMP Supt. Darren Campbell said the man who carried out the deadliest mass shooting in Canada’s history was carrying several semi-automatic handguns and two semi-automatic rifles.

Asked if the shooter was carrying a “military-style assault rifle,” Campbell replied that police had found a weapon that could be described that way.

·
Registered
179 Posts
M14 and all variants now banned in Canada

It's official. All variants of M14 now banned in Canada. Can't even take them to the range while we await confiscation.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I heard that they were going to do a "buy back", any info on offered money? Sorry to hear this happening!!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
It sounds like a gov't buy-back program will be introduced soon, and used over a 2 year period:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/pm-trudeau-announces-federal-ban-on-assault-style-firearms-in-canada-1.4920528

PM Trudeau announces federal ban on assault-style firearms in Canada

This is being done by changing the classification of these guns in Canada, moving them from non-restricted or restricted class, to “prohibited.”
Noting that the “vast majority” of gun owners use them safely and lawfully, the government is putting in place a two-year amnesty period to protect those with these guns from criminal liability until they can take steps to comply with the new rules.
Expected in future legislation is a buyback program for military-style assault rifles purchased legally in Canada, tougher safe-storage laws, and strengthened penalties for smuggling guns into Canada. The government has also committed to crack down on handguns.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
The ban includes guns that have been used in past Canadian shootings, such as:

the Ruger Mini-14 which was used in the Ecole Polytechnique massacre in Montreal in 1989, which the government estimates there are 16,860 currently in circulation in Canada;
the M14 semi-automatic which was used in the 2014 Moncton shooting, which the government estimates there are 5,230 in Canada;
the Beretta CX4 Storm which was used in the Dawson College shooting, which the government estimates there are approximately 1,510 currently in circulation; and
the CSA-VZ-58 which the gunman attempted to use in the Quebec Mosque shooting, which the government says there are 11,590 in Canada.

Another one of the firearms on Canada’s list of federally prohibited weapons is the AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, which was used by the gunman who killed 50 people at a Christchurch, New Zealand mosque in 2019, as well as in other mass shootings in the United States including the Sandy Hook and Las Vegas massacres. A handful of similar models are also on the list, as well as guns with muzzle energy exceeding 10,000 joules and those with calibres exceeding 20 millimeters.
...Due to the pandemic, the House of Commons is not in session to debate this reclassification, although I guess its a cabinet-level approval in the Canadian govt. Legislating the 'buy-back' program will be tricky, and without that key piece, this prohibition would seem problematic...

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Here is the list. An Order in Council bans only specific named firarms. If it on this list it is banned in Canada.

One of the big gaps in the previous OIC list was the fact that the AR15 "and all variants " were listed by name. Legally, the AR 10 was NOT a variant of the AR 15, the AR 15 was a variant of the AR 10.

There are hundreds of orher guns listed but these are the M14 variants.

The firearm of the design commonly known as the US Rifle, M14, and any variant or modified version of it, including the
American Historical Foundation Federal Ordnance M14 US Rifle Vietnam War Commemorative;
(b) Armscorp US Rifle M14;
(c) Armscorp US Rifle M14 National Match;
(d) AR Sales MARK 4;
(e) Bula Defense Systems M14;
(f) Dominion Arms Socom 18;
(g) Entreprise Arms US Rifle M14A2;
(h) Federal Ordnance M14SA US Rifle;
(i) Fulton Armory M14;
(j) Hesse Arms M14H Brush;
(k) Hesse Arms M14H;
(l) James River Armory M14;
(m) La France Specialties M14K;
(n) LRB Arms M14SA US Rifle;
(o) LRB Arms M25;
(p) McMillan M1A;
(q) McMillan M3A;
(r) MK Specialties M14A1 Semi-Automatic;
(s) Norinco M14 Semi-Automatic;
(t) Norinco 305;
(u) Norinco CSLR27;
(v) Norinco CSLR28;
(w) Norinco M305;
(x) Norinco 305A;
(y) Norinco M305C;
(z) Norinco M305D;
(z.01) Poly Technologies M14 Semi-Automatic;
(z.02) Poly Technologies M305;
(z.03) Rockola US Rifle M14F;
(z.04) Smith Enterprises US Rifle M14 National Match;
(z.05) Smith Enterprises US Rifle M14;
(z.06) Springfield Armory US Rifle M1A-A1 Bush Rifle;
(z.07) Springfield Armory US Rifle M1A-A1 Scout Rifle;
(z.08) Springfield Armory US Rifle M21;
(z.09) Springfield Armory US Rifle M1A National Match;
(z.1) Springfield Armory US Rifle M1A Super Match;
(z.11) Springfield Armory US Rifle M1A;
(z.12) Springfield Armory US Rifle M25;
(z.13) Springfield Armory US Rifle M1A SOCOM 16;
(z.14) Springfield Armory US Rifle M1A SOCOM 2;
(z.15) Springfield Armory US Rifle M1A NRA Camp Perry National Matches 100th Anniversary;
(z.16) Springfield Armory US Rifle M1A Loaded; and
(z.17) Springfield Armory US Rifle M1A Scout Squad.

·
Registered
179 Posts
No grandfathering for existing rifles, unless you are first nations. They have some sort of exception for them as the government is making the contradictory argument that they have to be and are eligible to be banned as they are not suitable for hunting or sporting purposes, but yet allow first nations to retain them for hunting.

As for the rest of us, they are giving us 2 years to turn them in. During that time they plan to pass the legislation needed to offer compensation. In the meantime, you can't use or sell them. I guess I have a lot of 308 ammo to shoot through my bolt action rifle now. Why they chose to go after the semi auto version of the m14, which we are limited to 5 round magazines, is purely political theatre.

·
Registered
179 Posts
...sounds like they have good estimates of the quantities of each type of these semi-auto rifles in the country. What a mess.
They might be completely out to lunch on the numbers, as these firearms did not require registration as of late. So about all they could do is rely on industry or importation records to estimate, if they keep track of that sort of thing. I can't imagine there are only 5,000 m14 variants in Canada. There must be thousands in our low population province (Manitoba) alone.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts