M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on scoping my National Match m1a. I have received a mount that I believe will work, and I have stolen the Mueller scope of my Savage .223. The problem I am now running into is that I will have to drill holes in the stock to add the cheek riser but i would like to use. I was able to mount the bipod using the vent hole in the end of the stock so I have not yet had to modify the stock. I realized by drilling holes in the stock that I would need to plug them if I were to use the rifle in any type of organized competition. But other than that what do guys think of the style of cheek riser in the photo. Are they good do they hold up and stay adjusted or should I buy a bag type. The scope is almost low enough that I would not need a cheek riser except I am on the lower portion of my jaw and do not think that will be a good repeatable position. Just wondering about opinions and what some of you other guys have done thanks.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
i would do a pad on a wood stock.
Lruss

Reactions: 3Gunnah

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I say go for it, but do a nice job and probably plan to leave it with the stock if you ever decide to sell it or the gun. It's a tool use it for it's intended job. Now having said all that if you have some high dollar stock that this modification will wreck the value of then NO.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
+1 - the general rule is not to mount a bipod through the vent hole on a usgi wood stock.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+1 - the general rule is not to mount a bipod through the vent hole on a usgi wood stock.
Does it make a difference if its a National Match heavy stock from Springfield Armory.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Does it make a difference if its a National Match heavy stock from Springfield Armory.
The National Match stock is not actually much thicker than the standard and loaded models. They are slightly thicker than USGI wood stocks. The Supermatch is the one with the really beefy stock.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'm going to have to buy some more stuff in the near future.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would suggest a scope with smaller objective and lower rings, then you won't need a cheek riser.
That is the plan, but the budget is saying other things at this current point in time. GI2

Reactions: MemphisMachinists

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I installed the TAC-PRO CR-M-14 (looks identical to yours) on my USGI fiberglass stock. I'd tried the padded risers earlier, but found that I was adjusting my cheek weld to suit the riser rather than adjusting the riser to suit my cheek weld.

The TAC-PRO riser's adjustability offers for a very comfortable and repeatable cheek weld that matches my scope. I use a Nikon Buckmaster scope mounted on a Basset high picatinny rail mount and needed a lot of riser to get my eye centered on the scope.

Before mounting the TAC_PRO, I found myself straining my neck to hold my head high enough; with the TAC_PRO, I just flop my face down and its right where it ought to be each and every time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts