M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing much to watch on TV late last night & watched an episode of tiny house nation. $30,000 to build a 172sqft tiny house on a dual axle trailer. Figuring 8ft wide that would be just a 21.5ft long tiny house. This was for a couple with a 2 year old.

Couldn't you purchase a nice same size travel trailer for $10,000? Or if spending the $30,000 get a super nice travel trailer?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Yeah, . . . but think of the advantages of building your own:

First, . . . you will always get at least one busted thumb, one eye gouge, 15+ splinters, 3 or 4 sleepless nights due to back pain, and at least one pump pliers pinch.

You can also make sure that behind the drywall, you line it with heavy duty Reynolds Wrap, making your own 172 sq ft Farraday cage.

On the outside, . . . Acme ZPP (Zombie Proof Paint) is available in 134 designer colors.

A 2 x 6 false floor with trapdoors in each room will give you a place to store at least 7 months supply of MRE's for 3, . . .

And if you just go down to your local trailer store, . . . they'll try to shove off on you one of those left over Katrina trailers, . . . describing it as only used for a couple weeks in the sunny south by a little old lady and her parakeet.

I just think I'll stay home.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
For $30,000, you can get a very nice camper. For that price you could get a nice used 5th wheel and have a lot of space. My 31' Outback cost about that new, it has a rear living room and two slides and it is a very nice camper up on my hunt lease.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No holding tanks on the tiny house so looked at new park model travel trailers. For under $30,000 you can get 38-41ft new 2014 travel trailer with atleast one slide.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
There are a lot of options and models available for $20-35k. They are making some really nice campers now in that price range.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Tiny Houses are one of the trends that are being pushed, a true life case of "lowered expectations". Trying to make folks feel better about getting "less for more". And yes a good travel trailer or fifth wheel would be much more economical & practical, but you wouldn't be "trendy".

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Tiny Houses are one of the trends that are being pushed, a true life case of "lowered expectations". Trying to make folks feel better about getting "less for more". And yes a good travel trailer or fifth wheel would be much more economical & practical, but you wouldn't be "trendy".
Couldn't agree more Ray... and don't forget "little" is GREEN too, for all the tree humpers.

Reactions: ray55classic

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I don't understand the attraction to these tiny houses. If a person feels so strongly about the environment to live in a cracker box why not just build a normal size Earthship home out of recycled material? You would end up a full size home that runs on less resources than one of those tiny houses.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

A difference in taxes, based on your state, would also apply based on real property (tiny house) vs personal property (camper/trailer).
My parents "work camped" for 10 years living in a RV, or as they like to say, a" coach". Whatever you want to call it, it depreciated significantly over the 10 years vs if they had bought a mobile home or tiny house or any other real property. But being a retired Navy Chief, my dad liked being able to pick up and change scenery when he felt like it.
I lived in a 20 foot shipping container for 6 months in Afghanistan. I would go that route and build out luxuriously for less than $10k before a tiny house for $30k.

I guess what I'm saying is options are good, as one size doesn't fit all. Great topic.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
I spent over a month on a job living in a 16ft long travel trailer .A travel trailer 's length also counts the neck & rear bumper of the trailer so I had a little over 12ft of length x 8ft width There was so little room in it you'd have to go outside to change your mind. To me the perfect house is a 2 Bedroom with a 4/6 car garage. Although If I had to downsize to a small home , what CodyM1A said is the way I'd go , a converted shipping container, they come in 20ft, 30ft, and 40ft in length.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I think the idea is more about saving money than being green though I do taste bile when I see they spent $30K and didn't lift a finger. It must have been one fancy trailer to start with to sink that much into it. I'd think even out of metal with the fancy spray on insulation would still be under budget.

My current house met my basement+garage criteria but really is too big for me. I have empty rooms that are used just for storage. At one point, the largest room was used for a model railroad. Space to burn! The next place will be smaller, mostly to save money on heating and cooling.

My workshop, which is larger than my house, I quickly outgrew. I hope to have that even larger next time. I can sleep standing up but I need a place to play.

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Look inward for the answer...........

Great discussion subject in the OP.

I see this as a reversal of a trend in America. Much the same as the arrival of the first Volkswagen Beetle. Can you truly ask yourself this question - "If, in a worst case scenario, I had to simply get by...... What would my "home" look like?"....... What is your answer?

Those folks that are adapting to this type of "home" are wisely using these times to their advantage. They are not only answering those "what if" questions......... They are finding solutions. After all, the majority of settlers coming west had to live in a covered wagon for many months. The thought of them arriving in Oregon and finding themselves a "Mini House" like these would have been a welcome sight.

When a nation comes full circle, those families that can adapt will be the leaders of tomorrow. Those that can't will be remembered in history books. Learning the "Law's of Nature" will be a painful experience for many Americans.

Hobo

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Cheap new travel trailers/fifth wheels are like anything cheap, they're not worth the effort & won't last as long as the payments. I don't believe many of yall are aware of what a new "well built" travel trailer costs these days. It's $1K per ft and up for anything well built , reference Glashaus's post for costs of his Outback [a very well built newer brand],10K won't buy squat. Used on the other hand, now thats a different story you can find some good deals used if you look and know what your lookng at. Some of the best older well built trailers/5th wheels were Holiday Rambler, Avion , Airstream , Argosy , Silver Streak , any of the Country Air , Mountain Air & London Air series by Newmar, etc.

Reactions: Glashaus

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just because the tiny house was made from scratch doesn't mean it was great quality. Most of the work I saw on the show was done with an air powered nail gun. Not ideal for something on a trailer going to be bouncing down the road.

There are old travel trailers that were made to last & still around like Airstream & Holiday Rambler. On the other hand, there are new travel trailers that are junk & nothing but trouble.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For anyone interested in small houses/cabins, two books that might be worth looking at are:

Compact Cabins: Simple Living in 1,000 Square Feet or Less
By: Rowen, Gerald
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Cabins-Simple-Living-Square/dp/1603424628/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405025410&sr=8-1&keywords=Compact+cabins[/ame]

and

Compact Houses: 50 Creative Floor Plans for Well-Designed Small Houses
By: Rowen, Gerald
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Houses-Creative-Floor-Well-Designed/dp/1612121020/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405025410&sr=8-2&keywords=Compact+cabins[/ame]

I actually own the Compact Cabins book, it does provided interesting designs. It also provides a few ideas for off grid and shipping container buildings. Of course these are designed as traditional non moving houses, but design sizes range from 162 sqf-840 sqf

Both are available through my local library, so check your library for availability and save some money.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Reactions: mau and Hobo Hilton
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.