M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Automatic Rifleman
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using a wrench made by an old AMU Armorer out of a NM op rod. What I'd like to see is a wrench with a head like this one made as a 3/8" drive socket. That way it could be used with a torque wrench.
Ted, would something like this work for you.

I just made it for the solid plug I have on one of my Garands. It could easily be made with the cruciform head. In fact I may go whip one out while the mill is still warm... The back has a 3/8" hex and is made from chromoly and parkerized.

·
Automatic Rifleman
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fast and furious cruciform type...

Needs a little work but you get the idea...

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Socket

Both of these look like they would work fine. I'd like to see one with a standard 3/8" square drive, but this type has some advantage in the field. A M14 combo tool or standard wrench would work with it.

·
Automatic Rifleman
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both of these look like they would work fine. I'd like to see one with a standard 3/8" square drive, but this type has some advantage in the field. A M14 combo tool or standard wrench would work with it.
... or a BAD armorer's tool GI6
I'll see if I can make one with the 3/8" socket this weekend.

·
Automatic Rifleman
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This morning's tinkering...

This long enough for the 'T' handle to clear the muzzle (except with a T37) and fits a 3/8" drive.
I might work on a drive head that accommodates both types of M1 plugs.

The 'T' handle is removable ... stole it from a tap handle.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I HATE yoose guys that have access to CNC schtuph . . . I really do . .

GI2GI2

dance2dance2dance2dance2dance2

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Instead of a separate rod to turn it with set it up to use a section of the GI cleaning kit rod many folks already carry in the butt stock storage area on their rifles. Just an idea.

·
Automatic Rifleman
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Instead of a separate rod to turn it with set it up to use a section of the GI cleaning kit rod many folks already carry in the butt stock storage area on their rifles. Just an idea.
Easy enough. What is the diameter of an M1 cleaning rod?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I've been getting by with a square-shank #4 Phillips screwdriver for many, many years. You can put a wrench or vise-grips on it if needed, and it's long enough to clear a T-37. I bought it at Home Depot for a few bucks.

·
Automatic Rifleman
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been getting by with a square-shank #4 Phillips screwdriver for many, many years. You can put a wrench or vise-grips on it if needed, and it's long enough to clear a T-37. I bought it at Home Depot for a few bucks.
Yep, I used to do the same with an S+K with a hex near the handle.
I made this 3/8" drive for Ted Brown so he can use a torque wrench in his shop... seemed like a fun challenge and an excuse to fire up my mill. I'm always trying to learn new tricks. This one is also easier to drag to the range with you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts