M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Two things: 1) What did he mean by indexed to the rcvr and bbl? Nothing wrong or irregular about that in concept, but you've got that op rod guide and gas piston tail to account for as well. I don't know if that speaks to your issue but the op rod guide is easily adjusted if need be. 2) Back on the receiver where your red mark runs is a place where the bolt roller can rub and it shouldn't. But you say you don't have the bolt in the rifle. I think I'd put some grease on the forward (round) part of the op rod and grease the bolt roller and put the bolt back in, do the tilt tests some more to see if grease is coming off the op rod in travel or being deposited back near the receiver heel., or both.

May be that your op rod had been, let's say, adjusted to clear and work smoothly with the heavy barrel. Do you have access to another op rod you could try?

Keep us posted, good luck.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
If you need to move the op rod guide a hair left or right you can do it with a block of wood and a hammer without pulling and replacing the pin. Sometimes the edges of the op rod guide can be a little jagged. A file will clean that up.

OK, the other. SAI has made some receivers off and on that have to be slightly relieved back there to clear the bolt roller. The unwanted contact typically begins under or just behind the rear sight cover. First order of business is to determine whether that's in fact happening and precisely where. Some shooters here have resolved it by kissing the site of the contact with the Dremel tool.

But let me repeat, I'd try a good-condition USGI op rod before I reached any conclusions. The geometry of your SAI op rod's travel may have been fine with the hvy bbl and its op rod guide, but that doesn't necessarily equate to in-spec. I KNOW your GI contour Wilson barrel, correctly indexed, will work good with a HRA, WRA, SA, or TRW op rod because I've used several of those barrels and op rods in combination over the years.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
OP, you've lost me. I thought you said you're going from a heavy match barrel (you said Krieger) to a standard Wilson NM barrel. But then you said the rifle started with a scout barrel. ?????

Members, incl Gus Fisher, took the time to try to help you. You got valuable tips. Now, if you've swapped from a short SAI factory barrel (18.5") to a standard-length (22") barrel, it's entirely possible your op rod was manipulated (i.e., bent) at the factory to some degree to enable SAI to get it out the door.

Whichever it was, I suspect you'd benefit by trying a known original spec M14 op rod.

Out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.