M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
"Staff Alumni"
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tiger striped stocks on GI issued rifles seem to be rare and wanted by the collector. Now are these stocks actually issued on a rifle. Or does the manufactur kick these stocks out because they are considered a blemished stock. What i mean by this, most GI stocks are plain in color and grain these stocks dont meet the norm. So are these stocks kicked out and sold as surplus stocks to get rid of them and that how they get on the market. Or some where some one made some custom stocks out of cool peices of walnut. :?: :?

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Steve:

Many of the "tiger striped" stocks on the market today are USGI with the Circle P proof and the Eagle in the Box. I definitely can say that the ones that I got were NOT hand picked and culled out, they looked like they had seen some action somewhere. Most of them had serious "character".

There are people making after market stocks with really nice grained Walnut.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
All of the tiger grained stocks that I have come acrossed came directly off USGI rifles and were sold as surplus.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The 2 tiger M14 stocks and 1 tiger M1 garand stock that I have either have both DAS stamps and circle P, or just the circle P on them. All 3 are USGI birch.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Does "Tiger Striping" occur only on walnut stocks or does birch show this striping too? I have a friend who has a birch stock that is not been issued, and it has some funky coloring to the wood. It has no metal and has never been finished. It isn't really stripped, but has more of the pattern similar to woodland camo with just 2 colors.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Yes, you can find Birch Tigers too. I have actually seen a lot more birch tigers than walnut.

What you're seeing is probably called "figure". It is not quite tiger striping but has a lot of contrasting patterns that are wider and bolder.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Hey George,

I agree, I see more Birch with tiger stripes than Walnut stocks with tiger stripes. However, the last batch of USGI stocks that I got was a mixed bunch with two of the Walnut stocks with stripes or "fiddleback". The Walnut stripes are not as readily distinctive as the ones on the Birch but they are really cool up close. I hope to post a few pics when they are done.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
"Staff Alumni"
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feed back. My favorite wood is Maple. Especially burl and tiger. Rarly see any stocks made out of maple except custom. Probably to expensive for standard stocks. I thinks it would be awsome to see a tiger maple M14 stock.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Hey Steve,

Wenig will make an M14 stock for you in Maple (Curly is best) as well as in other woods. I now have 2 of their stocks on a M1 Garand and on the Devine M1A and I love the feel. It was not too meaty and contoured in the right places.

I always felt that nothing was too "outlandish" for what I thought were my best rifles, so I picked the most exotic wood that I could find (actually it was recommended to me by Dean Dillabaugh of DGR Guns). Bastogne makes a beautiful stock.

I have never seen a stock in Elm. Oxmix, you got any links or pics that might show what an Elm stock would look like? I am sure that Wenig could produce a stock in any wood that you would choose.

Maybe we should make some kind of bunch order to get Wenig to create stocks for us... they wouldn't have to be the same type of wood either... but I think they wait until they get a sufficient amount of an order before tooling up.

Hmmm... Just a thought.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Tom,
I don't have any pics but I see Elm wood stocks on a lot of air rifles. Some of them are really beautiful.

Regards

Ox

1 - 12 of 12 Posts