M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just bought these from member xk319. he had these shipped to me with lighting delivery. stand-up seller all the way. i know this isnt a feedback section but i thought i'd give him a shout out along with pics of the tiger stocks he sent me.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Ah shucks!!!..............

There both a beauty!!! they look Sweet..........Ya beat me to the punch on buying them.DI4

I love them tiger stripes being walnut or birch.

Congrats on a great buy.GI2

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Twenty minutes from posting until sold. Good obs and good on you for not hesitating. My search goes on.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, im not real sure how to "treat" striped stocks. the stock in front, the stripes only show up at a certain angle in low light.....but there has got to be a way to "punch" up the stripes to make them more dynamic.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have used chromium trioxide I believe is the name..Got it from dixe gun works.
It works really well on the stripes,be carefull when you apply it because it will stripe wherever it touches.be radom so the stripeing looks natural...It is also very very toxic..Use face shield and gloves and good ventilation.I used tung oil over mine and it is awesome....

·
Registered
702 Posts
In the woodworking world, that pattern would be called 'curly birch'.

Tiger Strip is used only for quarter sawn oak, different phenomenon all together.

Anytime you get curly, fiddleback, crotch , or feather grain, it is cause by the iridescence of the wood. That is, the pores are so close together each pore tricks the eye into seeing a different color. Like the bright patches on pigeon throats.

Tiger strips in oak are caused by a radial grain, radial to the center of the tree. Lacks the FIRE of iridescence. But I swear I saw an M1 Garand pic here somewhere with that pattern.

The more pigments you put on the iridescence, the more you will cover up the FIRE. .

I don't know what the recommended chromium trioxide does. Probably a bleach, that will allow you to paint on lighter color stripes? Not the same as iridescence.

One of my fringe benefits as wood worker was the thrill of spraying on that first coat of lacquer. Stand back, the iridescence can pop so bad as to hit you in the eye. Just like the fancy walnut buttstock I just made, see my thread in 'stocks'.

Here's a llnk to my photo site, to see the stocks in full size, all their glory. The Model %O win is Fiddleback maple, the '94 is 'Crotch' grain, from near a fork in the tree. http://imageevent.com/bigchriscase/misc scroll to pics 12,13,14,15.

Reactions: Charlene32

·
Registered
38 Posts
Chromium trioxide is chromic acid. It's used in the chrome plating industry. Also used extensively in the aerospace industry for aluminum anodizing and chem films. As mentioned is it EXTREMELY dangerous if not handled properly. It's corrosive, toxic, and a carcinogen. It's basically hexavalent chromium. Remember that movie about Erin Brochovich? Yep. that's the stuff.

Great looking tigers you got there O/P...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.