1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"Staff Alumni"
2,653 Posts

·
"Staff Alumni"
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I have a few other pistols that were in that safe that have miner rust. I also had some long guns too that got some minor rust. Since they hang on the wall and dont sit in drawers, they got attention. It seem like the cheaper pistols and rifles were the ones prone to rusting. I didnt noticed the problem with the safe because I was down in it every day and the door was opened every day. I went on a vacation for two weeks and thats when I noticed the some rust. I stuck a dehumidifier in the safe and was pulling a half drawer of water out every day. A lesson learned my new safe is environmentally controlled :p

·
Registered
611 Posts
Steve k said:
...I stuck a dehumidifier in the safe and was pulling a half drawer of water out every day. A lesson learned my new safe is environmentally controlled :p...
Holy crap! Where'd you say you lived again? 8O

In my in-laws' basement in Indiana, I have to recharge my silica gel every few months or so. But man, that after two weeks?

I'd say keep the door shut. :D I also have a wipe rag with CLP that I run over the toys. Not much oil on it, jus' enough to wipe of 'prints, as that can be a main culprit for rust...

Spike

·
"Staff Alumni"
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Holy crap! Where'd you say you lived again
I lived in Silt CO at that time. We added a dinning room to the house so I found it and opertune time to put a gun safe under it Concrete all around even the lid. It is high semi desert here very little humidity and very dry. You just cant go down to Sears or Ace Hardware and buy a dehumidifier. There no call for them here everyone wants humidifieres ad swamp coolers. It mystified me where all that water was comming from. The only Explanation is the water was comming from the new concrete.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.