M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just purchased a SAI, NM built rifle. The Krieger heavy barrel's throat erosion gauged at 5, which to me means shot out. The seller told my friend that the chamber had been over-reamed to shoot 182 grn bullets. Have you ever heard of this?

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
Yes.

Most SAI factory match barrels are throated about a 1 on most gauges, for 175 grain bullets. It would not surprise me that folks are throating long for bullets up to 190 grains.

Everything depends on how well it shoots with his choice of bullets.

M1 Garands often left the factory with a TE of 3 or more and they were only intended to shoot 150 grain bullets.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I am skeptical as I am not familiar with any 182 grain match bullets used with a 308W.

I have heard of special 1-9 twist M14 barrels set up for the 190 SMK for 1000 yard use, along with modified gas systems, but I don’t know how that would gauge.

So I would be concerned that the barrel was shot out...Unless build documentation is presented, I would “believe the gauge and not the sellers story.”

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
New government barrels are considered in spec if they have throat readings of 0 to 3. It's rare to fined a new barrel that is more than 1. I did inspect a new H&R M1 Garand barrel that was 3.

I don't know who's bullets are 182 grains, but I have shot hundreds of 180 grain Sierra MK's in my Krieger barrels which were throated 0 with no problems and exceptional accuracy. Many M14 type rifles don't seem to like the 180, but mine did and I shot some very good 1000 yard scores with this bullet loaded Mexican Match in unaltered M118. I was a lazy loader...

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys; thought it was BS.
The seller sent my friend pics of 2 reamers, one 7.62, the other .308. Claimed the civilian rd is longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts