M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the accuracy of our previously ultra mega match grade barrel is going south as we come down with a bad case of throat erosion . Really expensive to replace the barrel so we ream the chamber a little deeper and set the barrel back . Presto , we have our mega match grade accuracy back for 1/3 of the price of a new one .

Wait a minute , that won't work as throat erosion extends to at least 4 inches into the barrel , past the chamber and we can't ream 4 inches .

Which statement is correct ?

In order to extend our barrel life we can apply treatments to our barrels and bullets that will extend barrel life , make it easier to clean , boost velocity and cure joint ailments .

That stuff is unproven voodoo and using Moly or anything else won't slow down throat erosion and extend barrel life . Even if it did it can't be used in a gas operated firearm .

Which statement is correct ?

This barrel will give another 1,500 rounds of precision over that barrel because it cost $300.00 more . They use better steel so accuracy degradation from throat erosion happens much slower .

Hmmm..... ?

Expect firecracking and degraded accuracy at about 2,000 rounds with any non-chromed barrel . The throat may last a little longer but close inspection with a magnified borescope will reveal chunks missing .

Hmmmm.... ?

Don't worry , be happy as money will solve it . Purchase a good barrel that is metalurgically superior to the competition and you'll get 5,000 , 6,000 or 7,000 rounds till you notice any degraded accuracy due to throat erosion .

Hmmmm.... ?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Not sure if you're asking a question or if your multiple personalities are having a debate. :? Maybe one or more of them can clarify this. Just hope its the same answer from each one. ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cryogenically treated ? I've been running into that term quite a bit lately . What does the treatment promise , or do . I'm in the midst of putting my first M-14 together . Not the first one i've owned but the first one i've gathered every part for to assemble . Now i get into discussion of barrels , barrel life and throat erosion and everyone seems to have an opinion but i'm still short on facts .

As far as the multiple personality premise in the above post , that's about the way the conversations have been going . Most of the folks i've been talking to converse in minutes of deer and wouldn't realize accuracy degredation by leaning over the hood and firing at a 3 foot target nailed to a stump 'bout a 100 yards away .

I go around the internet and find the same thing , opinions , so i decided to ask the guys who do it , shoot it , burn 'em out and replace them because this is where the knowledge is .

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
I think I see were your going with the thread and will just answer a few questions I have experienced personally and add some , I hope common sense. I used Moly coated bullets in my Armscorp with good results. It did not foul up the gas assembly any more or less than jacketed bullets. Accuracy is still very good after several K rounds. The barrel is a USGI chrome lined 1-12. I don't think cyro treating a barrel for a M14 would be necessary, but I don't think it would hurt it either. I think it is for bench rest shooters to get some sort of mojo and maybe improve his groups a couple hundreds/ thousandths of an inch. Yea you could mill your old barrel down and finish ream it. BTW about M.E., you going to chop it down to a scout while your at it. I don't think anyone is producing really crappy replacement barrels for the M14. Good luck with your project.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
If it were me, I would get a USGI chrome lined barrel with the TE and ME both under zero. Clean it properly and it will last for quite some time. You could also take a look at the barrels that LRB has as a reasonable price. I have USGI barrels in all four of mine. Don't know if I would change a thing. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys , the wife says , 'with the money you've spent on all of those parts couldn't you have just bought a new rifle ' ? No honey , it doesn't work like that . 'But you have 3 barrels and boxes of parts for one rifle '. Yes honey , but what honey doesn't realize is that with one more reciever i have enough parts to build 2 rifles .

The Douglas barrel is going on the first one and it's still going to be awhile before it's done and a chrome lined is going on the second one . That still leaves one more chrome lined barrel . Hmmm... :D

The first rifle is going to be a match rifle and the original post on this topic was actually regarding the Douglas barrel as i've been getting so much conflicting information on breaking it in , Moly prepping the bore , shooting Moly bullets , throat erosion within a couple of thousand rounds and so on . I ordered a 1 in 10 because i have about 2,000 SMKs that it's going to be fed . A few 168s and mostly 175s .

I don't know how many rounds to expect to shoot through it until i start seeing signs of accuracy degradation due to throat erosion but when it happens , i'll deal with it .

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,825 Posts
Barrel Life

Well ATR, here is my advice garnered over a lifetime of competition shooting. Put a quality match grade barrel on your rifle. It can be a Krieger, Douglas, or whatever. Gene Barnett makes an excellent M14 barrel on Douglas blanks. That's probably what you have and it's a good choice. Expect 5000 to 6000 rounds of best accuracy and I expect it will still be capable of minute of angle for another 3000 rounds. Depending on your skill, you won't notice a big difference except maybe at 600 yards. A Master or High Master will change the barrel around 6000 rounds anyway. The 1:10" twist is the best all around choice for any bullet you'll use in the M14. As for break in, just go out and shoot it! While break in procedures don't hurt, they don't make that much difference either.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ted , that's the first round count i've got from a pro . Like i said earlier , lots of opinions . I have a Steyr SSG P 2 that i have 4,400 rounds through and no detectable sign of accuracy going south but that's the only higher end rifle i own . I've done nothing to it except clean it . No particular beak in , no chemical bore prep , no coated bullets , nothing except shoot and clean . I had a Steyr SSG 69 with 6,000 rounds through it when i swapped it off and it would still go 5 shots into an inch . The ammount of knowledge i have regarding re-barreling rifles with aftermarket or custom barrels and expectations could be written on a postal stamp so i appreciate it when someone steps up to the plate with experience .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.