Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brown Wood Rectangle Hardwood Tints and shades

Brown Wood Hardwood Composite material Metal

Door Wood Tints and shades Household hardware Tool

Brown Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish

Wood Rim Auto part Composite material Metal

found this stock for $50 at a local flea market I added the M1 buttplate. Any idea on how to repair the split. I figured I’d mix up some JB weld and clamp it overnight then sand smooth. They had another one that someone had attempted to strengthen with what felt like 2 lbs of epoxy. I passed on that one but might go back tomorrow and offer them $20 for it. It had the spacer for the M1 buttplate.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
if the stock is made out of fiberglass. Go to a store , that sells auto body supply's, and buy some fiberglass cloth and resin.
I'd suggest looking for a fiberglass repair kit. It should have everything that one would need.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rectangle Grey Font Tints and shades Metal

Automotive tire Cylinder Composite material Gas Rectangle

well stock was still there so it followed me home. Got the stock, spacer, and screw set. Spacer and M1 garand buttplate weigh 3.4 Oz less then the stock set up. Thanks for all the information.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
KurtC,
Thanks for the pics!
What is the story on these spacers?
Did they come on all original USGI Fibers?
Why are most missing, if that's the case?
They are used between Butt plate and stock?
Why are they needed if most stocks now are missing them?
I've got some USGI fibers, maybe remove my butt plates?
Thanks

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
The change from a Garand buttplate to a flip up style was made late, when the M15 project got cancelled. The flip up buttplates were unavailable when the first M14 were shipped, so they went out with Garand plates and these spacers. Several months later, the flip up plates were available and these spacers went in the trash (most of them). They were long gone when the fiberglass stocks began production.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
The change from a Garand buttplate to a flip up style was made late, when the M15 project got cancelled. The flip up buttplates were unavailable when the first M14 were shipped, so they went out with Garand plates and these spacers. Several months later, the flip up plates were available and these spacers went in the trash (most of them). They were long gone when the fiberglass stocks began production.
Oh, I see now!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Thanks!
So to use Garand butt plates these spacers are needed?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts