M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Eye Master
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a feeler/discussion thread about adding AR hoods to USGI sight apertures. I see two benefits to AR hoods. First is that they are slightly smaller OD than the M14 hoods, so you can run the sight down more easily and not have the hood bump on the sight base, if you have a USGI sight base. Second is that you could use standard AR screw-in apertures. Not legal for Garand games, but they should be legal for SR class.

I can make racks with 1/4-28 threads, I guess it just never occurred to me to offer them as a product before. I see a couple of options - I could do this to USGI apertures, which would be the cheapest, but also fit in the sight base with a little slop. Or I could do it to NM racks, which need to be stoned to fit, and would cost about $30 more than the USGI.

I'd have to calculate, but maybe $30 for a drilled/tapped USGI, vs $60 for the NM rack.

The NM option with a hood would be at the same price as a NM hood/rack setup, or slightly higher because I'd be doing them low volume. You would lose the 1/2 MOA elevation adjustability. About the only benefits at that point is the smaller diameter hood, so you can put it on a USGI sight base with the smaller cutout, however that likely might mean that you also don't have 1/2 MOA windage. So this seems to be putting lipstick on a pig.

Doing it to a USGI rack would offer a USGI sight base the lower cost option to upgrade to a hooded sight and a smaller aperture without needing a new sight base, so this seems like an improvement. I guess the comparison here is basing this solution on inexpensive USGI apertures, which I have, versus considerably more expensive NM racks, which I need to buy, then still need to do additional machining to.

I'm looking to banter ideas back/forth and we can maybe try to make a few of these. I don't think the market will be huge, because competition shooters in the M14 will have NM setups that are better than this option, and they can not be used in the Garand games, because it is not 'As Issued'. However they offer a recreational or SR target shooter a less expensive upgrade to a hooded system, and to one that could accommodate a lens.

·
Eye Master
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I made a dozen.

These are NOS USGI apertures that I drilled and tapped, then added a NM hooded sight with an 0.042" aperture off an AR.

I've confirmed that these can be lowered all the way in a USGI sight base without the edge of the hood bumping the sight base. Since these are USGI racks, they also do not need stoning to fit, so this is a quick upgrade that gets you to a reduced aperture and a hooded aperture without having to upgrade to a NM rear sight base and windage knob.

https://shootingsight.com/product/hooded-usgi-apertures/

Cost is $50.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Art, these will accept the standard White Oak/Compass Lake style of Hood, correct? If we wanted to try our AR15 sights up and down?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Art, these are threaded 1/4-28, right? I have one in my cart right now, but want to be sure the RRA 0.052 screw-in hood I already have will work with it, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts