M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a bit of looking here and on on Google, but couldn't find anything. Though maybe I'm just having bad search luck.

Anyone ever see a thread on USGI style flash hider to use on a 5/8-24 thread adapter? I know there are several other flash hiders available with those threads, but for some reason I really like the look of the original, but I also want the capability of using a silencer.

Something like this is what I'm looking for:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Just to clarify...You want the flash hider part of it, just not the front sight? You could try cutting it off and tapping it if that's the case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scroll down at this site:
M14 adapter
Thanks, was already aware of the adapter though.

Just to clarify...You want the flash hider part of it, just not the front sight?
Yep, just looking for the flash hider part. I was hoping that someone out there would have liked the look of the original flash hider and might have made one for any other threaded barrel out there...or even the guys making the M14 thread adapters might have made one to keep the original look.

You could try cutting it off and tapping it if that's the case.
That would be possible I think. Way too much time and money for the look to me though.
Yeah, that was my thought if no one else out there made one. But that would involve sacrificing a perfectly good flash hider and adding additional cost to the threaded adapter. May have to go that way to keep the original look, or just get a different flash hider altogether. I'd prefer to keep the original look though.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
That might be interesting but it would look so different it would lose the nostalgia.

Put a surefire direct connect flash hider you won't be disapointed.

Get it from Brownell

·
Registered
547 Posts
I actually think OP's idea is great. If the FS part without site could be screwed onto the adaptor it would not be noticeable. Guess, though to use your can you would have to then take it off, tighten on your ACC51T or equivalent then put your can on.

I have extra FS lying around. How hard it is to put threads inside the steel that is on the FS? Guess you would then have to repark. Fun project if I had time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is more than likely stating the obvious, but having an open gap between the barrel and the start of your threaded section (as shown in the picture above) would nullify any benefits you would receive from your suppressor. It would have to be a closed unit to be effective.

This said, I like the idea of having a threaded adaptor for use with a flash hider or suppressor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
a M60 flash hider resembles the usgi m14 hider and is 5/8'' threaded too. They are a bit biger, but I like them. I have one and a threaded adapter with front sight base I plan on using on a 18.5'' build soon.
Just checked out the M60 hiders. That definitely looks like a viable candidate. Not exact, but fairly close in style. Thanks a bunch for the suggestions.

Guess, though to use your can you would have to then take it off, tighten on your ACC51T or equivalent then put your can on.
Only if you're using a QD can. If you use a direct mount, just swapping the can and the flash hider should be pretty quick.

This is more than likely stating the obvious, but having an open gap between the barrel and the start of your threaded section (as shown in the picture above) would nullify any benefits you would receive from your suppressor. It would have to be a closed unit to be effective.

This said, I like the idea of having a threaded adaptor for use with a flash hider or suppressor.
Where would the open gap come from? I haven't actually got the thread adapter yet, but I would imagine they attach like a regular flash hider and that there is a recess just forward of the area for the castle nut that slips on to the muzzle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts