M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LRB SA is currently sitting in a USGI Big Red stock and I'm considering switching to a USGI synthetic stock to save a few ounces of weight. There is maybe a 1/32nd inch gap between the receiver heel and the synthetic stock so the receiver would likely have to be bedded to the synthetic stock. There is no gap with the Big Red.

I am going to be mounting a Leupold 3.5x10 Mark 4 scope with steel Mark 4 rings that Santa brought a few days ago to this receiver with a Sadlak steel mount which is already on the rifle.

Looking for ideas, opinions, suggestions, etc. Change stocks or leave things as they are?

Thanks in advance and may 2017 be a good year for all here on the forum.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Did you weigh the two stocks? I almost feel like my glass stock is heavier than wood. I have a late model SAI that came with a green stock and have since put a birch with some flame stock on it. It may shoot a little better in the tighter green stock but I sure like the look of the GI birch. The thing that's nice is we can easily switch back and forth depending on our mood on any given day.

·
Registered
14,795 Posts
USGI fiberglass is usually heavier than USGI wood. All that resin adds up. SAI polymer is the lightest, SAI wood is the heaviest.

http://m14forum.com/m14/111516-usgi-stock-weights.html

Check your fiberglass stock to see why the heel isn't coming all the way down. The receiver legs might be rubbing. There are also high spots on the side rails, near the front of the receiver. Dyekem works great.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not weighed them against one another....I don't have anything besides a bathroom scale that seems to be accurate +/- 5 pounds. Holding them at arms length side by side, the synthetic feels lighter but that is just an approximation.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Just my opinion... A lot of folks think the GI fiberglass is lighter than GI wood, I believe it's because of the shape of the fiberglass stock. It has the slimmest profile of the GI stocks, smaller pistol grip, and I think that makes it feel lighter even if it isn't.

I like the slim profile (I have kind of small paws.) My Walter Mitty rifle lives in a nice GI fiberglass, good receiver fit and lockup, and it shoots well. I like the way it handles.

·
Forum Jester
8,417 Posts
big red is stiffer,no forend twist. at our ages,anything stiffer is good

Reactions: WaM14gunner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.