M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on using a white grease pencil to fill in the etched writing on your receiver, scope mount, etc? Does this detract from the "tactical" appeal?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have seen the sn marked with yellow to help read off serial numbers easily at matches. If any one at the match wants to confirm a number it helps speed things up.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Every time I think about doing this I decide against it... I think I'd rather paint it than use a grease marker and that's why I decide against it. Maybe I'll be brave one of these days. Main reason I'd paint it is because white lettering doesn't do anything for me so I'd like a colour. Personally I'd only do the heel of the receiver, not everything needs "Hey look at me!" on it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
If you like it, do it. if not, do not. It is that simple. If a bad guy is close enough to see white pencil markings, you are in bayonet range, not rifle range.

·
Registered
396 Posts
While my near vision is good, my distance vision is poor, so I wear contact lenses. Unfortunately, correcting my eyes for distance messes up my near vision. Things finally reached a point that I could only see the windage and elevation markings bright sunlight.

As a test I recently filled the windage markings on the receiver and indicator line on the sight base with white paint stick. Now the markings are easy to read, so I plan to do it again with something more permanent. The white marking works with the front sight of my 1911, too.

As for filling in the heel markings, barrel stampings, etc. I'm not so sure. It *does* look nice, but just seems out of place on a battle rifle. I'll stick with functional. Functional is good.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
I think it serves more of a function on the sight adjustment knobs but looks tacky on the heel of the receiver. What ever floats your boat I guess...

7th

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I have every etched letter and number on my rifle done in either white or yellow. I'm very sure that this makes my rifle much more accurate and it smells delicious. The colors glow in the dark and my M1A can now be used as an emergency road flare. Cover your bases, rah!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I haven't done it (I've never bothered), but when I saw one done with red, I knew that was the way I'm going to do it, if ever.

In short, red looks much nicer, and almost retains that tactical look.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the white lettering and numerals, however I have given some thought to painting them something more subtle like o.d. green.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Can't really tell, but I did this one's heel markings with OD green.

Very subtle, which I liked. I may do my LRB with Coyote brown... if I'm brave.

·
Registered
33 Posts
White grease pencil is so easy to apply/remove that I am surprised people actually put off attempting this on their own weapons. It works great on the elevation index line on the left receiver ear. If you hi-lite the 200 yd (garand) on the elevation pinion, it is really helpful at the range. Also hi-lite the windage marks on the receiver and the line on the back of the sight block to enhance your ability to dial in more quickly at the range. I like to hi-lite the serial number also, just to make it easier to read in the rack at home. All mine are marked in order to facilitate use, not as decoration.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Every time I think about doing this I decide against it... I think I'd rather paint it than use a grease marker and that's why I decide against it. Maybe I'll be brave one of these days. Main reason I'd paint it is because white lettering doesn't do anything for me so I'd like a colour. Personally I'd only do the heel of the receiver, not everything needs "Hey look at me!" on it.
Uhm. Grease pencil is just wax. Crayola crayon isn't much different.. somewhat harder, but still plenty soft to work into the stamping on a receiver. Use grease pencil if you want to write on glass. For filling in a stamping, any wax will do, I'm sure.

·
"Death From Above"
11,444 Posts
Check out brownells website. Do a search for laqour pens. This is what I licked up in both red and white. I did one heal of one of my receivers in white. I dig the way it looks.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I use White Tire Marker and it remains after 15 Years!

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Uhm. Grease pencil is just wax. Crayola crayon isn't much different.. somewhat harder, but still plenty soft to work into the stamping on a receiver. Use grease pencil if you want to write on glass. For filling in a stamping, any wax will do, I'm sure.
True... but ever seen a box of crayons after sitting in a 120+ degree car in the summer? I remember the carpet didn't fare so well in my dad's van.

I have some epoxy based spray paint here in coyote brown. I'll probably try spraying some metal with it to see how it comes out (I think I read rubbing alcohol can remove it if it's still wet). This is mostly why I'm scared to do it, I want to use something that isn't broken down or discoloured if it's hit with a cleaner. That also means it's harder to get over spray off so I'll have to mask it really well then remove the masking and wipe it immediately.

·
Registered
362 Posts
True... but ever seen a box of crayons after sitting in a 120+ degree car in the summer? I remember the carpet didn't fare so well in my dad's van.

I have some epoxy based spray paint here in coyote brown. I'll probably try spraying some metal with it to see how it comes out (I think I read rubbing alcohol can remove it if it's still wet). This is mostly why I'm scared to do it, I want to use something that isn't broken down or discoloured if it's hit with a cleaner. That also means it's harder to get over spray off so I'll have to mask it really well then remove the masking and wipe it immediately.
Hmm. Yeah, thats a good point. I haven't filled in my stampings, so I don't know if guys run into issues w/ that or not.

I don't know that I'd risk paint though. That seems like it could get messy.

I'll just continue to leave it alone, myself :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I used a white one to highlight the markings on my sights because I've found that the older I get, the harder it is to read them, especially at close range. My arms just keep getting too short to read small print nowadays.GI6

1 - 20 of 23 Posts