M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my M1A is at Gus Norcross' shop getting a stock so I'm focusing on some other stuff right now, hobby wise. Not sure where to put this since it may cover a few different platforms. My father has been rocking a Marlin 336 for years. It was actually my first rifle that I bought while doing the obligatory New Englander's 19-in-Florida thing(apologies, Florida) and I sort of want it back. But more than that I want him to have the right gun. He's not a gun guy, hence me buying my first at 19, and he's the most left handed dude in the world. Lever action suits him although he has been practicing on a bolt gun that he bought for me and I subsequently left there. He roams something like 150 acres in the middle of nowhere in southern Maine and only fires the rifle to destroy the massive population of porcupines which he has taken up a righteous vendetta against after they were stupid enough to live near his dog. My first thought was well, ok I'm going to get his set up for .357 we'll find a Rossi for now and probably a gp100 or something down the road. But here's the thing, there's bear and moose all over the place there and I don't think the 30/30 or the .357 are the right gun there. I know that the .30 could be pressed into service but as I said he's not a gun guy. He's just a guy that needs a gun. I am considering a Browning BLR or a semi auto. I understand that a close range porcupine slayer and a bear defense gun and a moose rifle are nothing like the same gun, but I guess that's why I'm in the Geedunk. What are your opinions. What am I not considering?
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I'm thinkin a .30-30 would be better than a .357, for encompassing bear or moose, in gravest extreme.
You might want to consider .45-70. There are loads available from mild to wild.

·
Super Moderator
3,367 Posts
Interesting request - porcupine to moose.....You discuss bear and moose and your dad roams the property - is your dad going to eventually actually hunt bear and moose (and the solution needs to be capable of taking that game consistently) ? Or does he just need to be something to deter bear or moose when he is roaming the property?

Also, will the rifle need to be scoped? Not sure of your dad's age and sight situation.

M1Army

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Interesting idea Stoky, there's a Rossi for sale near him right now. Also we have a Springfield Trap door from I think my great grandfather that I've always wanted to look into firing. Same ammo right?

Is it easier to make light loads for 45/70 than 30-30? I feel like I've heard people mention that more often than I have the .30-

M1, much more likely to be a defensive use, if at all. I don't see him hunting any time soon. It's definitely possible but if he ever gets a moose permit I think we will just borrow a 30-06. I am however drawn to the BLR in that round and he already feel comfortable with the lever gun. I think he will likely stick with iron sights but I might try to talk him into a fixed 3 or 4 power.

·
Registered
779 Posts
This is a tough one. Bear and porcupine is asking a lot out of one weapon. Since your dad isn’t a gun guy what about two inexpensive weapons that are more ideally suited to the task at hand? How about a $200 Ruger 10/22 loaded with some high velocity hollow points for those porcupines and a pump action 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs for the bear? My google tells me porcupines range about 20-30 pounds. I’d think a .22 LR with good ammo could humanely handle that problem. You mention a need for a defensive gun as well. The pump action will also work for that with some buckshot.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Interesting idea Stoky, there's a Rossi for sale near him right now. Also we have a Springfield Trap door from I think my great grandfather that I've always wanted to look into firing. Same ammo right?
It's basically the same ammo. Trap doors aren't as robust as more modern stuff. Most loading manuals have a separate section of light loads, and most of them specifically denote "Trap door loads."
I'd be mindful of chamber pressure limit(s) specified by the rifle manufacturer when selecting loads or cartridges.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I load light loads with TrailBoss and H4895 for my Trapdoor, but I wouldn't use it on a regular basis for porcupines. 22s are better for that.
If worried about Bears, I have a Rossi 92 in 44 Magnum. A clone of the Winchester 92. Really light and handy to carry in the woods, lever action, ejects from the top so not left or right preferential. Also there are mounts for the barrel to add a Red Dot or Long Eye Relief scope if desired. Also a selection of peep type, ghost rings, and bajillions of tritium and day glow open sights.
Pop the Porcs with either 44 Special or 44 Mag. Black Bears and even Moose are no match to the mighty 44 inside 100 yards.
💪

·
Registered
428 Posts
My older brother was in a situation similar to your fathers, he needed a general purpose rifle around the farm. I got him a mossberg patriot .308 bolt action w/ scope from academy . But we`re in Alabama and don`t have bear or moose.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a couple carbines I recently bought that would be fun for porcupine. One is a Ruger pc carbine. It’s like a grown up 10/22 take down. It’s relatively accurate and a blast to shoot. Mine is in 9mm but they make a .40 version as well and it takes Glock mags. He could keep a mag full of some hot .40 for big animals and shoot cheap fodder for the porcupines.

My other thought would be a Browning or Winchester 92 in .44 mag. He could carry some hot .44 for the big stuff and shoot .44 special at the porcupines. Again, mine is in .357 but I’m not using it for protection against large animals.

Keep in mind that these pistol cartridges are traveling quite a bit faster from a rifle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a Rossi 92 in 44 Magnum. A clone of the Winchester 92. Black Bears and even Moose are no match to the mighty 44 inside 100 yards.
💪
Haha, your post wasn’t there yet when I started typing this morning. Great minds think alike!

I’m no expert on trapdoor springfields but weren’t they built for black powder? Be careful because, although the dimensions are the same, 45/70 is an old black powder cartridge and modern ammo will make bad things happen to the older guns and whoever is shooting them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Haha, your post wasn’t there yet when I started typing this morning. Great minds think alike!

I’m no expert on trapdoor springfields but weren’t they built for black powder? Be careful because, although the dimensions are the same, 45/70 is an old black powder cartridge and modern ammo will make bad things happen to the older guns and whoever is shooting them.
Rocknut,
Thanks for pointing that out to those who don't know.
I should edit my post to say "low pressure" as I was thinking and as I do.
However, I keep getting distracted by the sexy lingerie adds on the right. 😍

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
Remington 7600 Police Carbine. Keep a mag full of 180's in the rifle for protection. Have a couple of mags full of 100's for varmints.

The iron sights are good, but an RDS is better.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Rocknut,
Thanks for pointing that out to those who don't know.
I should edit my post to say "low pressure" as I was thinking and as I do.
However, I keep getting distracted by the sexy lingerie adds on the right. 😍
The trapdoor is one of the coolest rifles I’ve ever shot. My response was aimed toward keeping the op safe should he choose to shoot his great grandfathers rifle that he mentioned in post #4. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
i am also a left handed. what feels good to me is
a rem 760 pump in 30-06. a used one should not
be to much. will get the critters big and small.
Lruss

Reactions: dogear

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well my M1A is at Gus Norcross' shop getting a stock so I'm focusing on some other stuff right now, hobby wise. Not sure where to put this since it may cover a few different platforms. My father has been rocking a Marlin 336 for years. It was actually my first rifle that I bought while doing the obligatory New Englander's 19-in-Florida thing(apologies, Florida) and I sort of want it back. But more than that I want him to have the right gun. He's not a gun guy, hence me buying my first at 19, and he's the most left handed dude in the world. Lever action suits him although he has been practicing on a bolt gun that he bought for me and I subsequently left there. He roams something like 150 acres in the middle of nowhere in southern Maine and only fires the rifle to destroy the massive population of porcupines which he has taken up a righteous vendetta against after they were stupid enough to live near his dog. My first thought was well, ok I'm going to get his set up for .357 we'll find a Rossi for now and probably a gp100 or something down the road. But here's the thing, there's bear and moose all over the place there and I don't think the 30/30 or the .357 are the right gun there. I know that the .30 could be pressed into service but as I said he's not a gun guy. He's just a guy that needs a gun. I am considering a Browning BLR or a semi auto. I understand that a close range porcupine slayer and a bear defense gun and a moose rifle are nothing like the same gun, but I guess that's why I'm in the Geedunk. What are your opinions. What am I not considering?
Thanks.
How about o/u rifle shotgun combo?Perhaps .22 mag over 20ga or 12 ga

·
Registered
109 Posts
Left handers and lever guns go together like they grew there. Pumps too. If his eyesight is getting a smidge iffy, maybe a rifle with a ghost ring type peep might help? Craig Boddington (a left hander whose sight is also getting dodgy) swears by them. Even a peep type with a larger hole can be helpful or mounting a tang type peep if there's a good spot that won't make him crazy.

There ARE a number of companies who cater to left handers for bolt guns. Maybe something in .308 or .30-06 might cover all bases for him as long as he's a decent shot. Bonus...either are good medicine for chucks too. Nice red mist pattern when you hit them in the head.

Something like this:
STEYR-MANNLICHER MODEL M LEFT-HANDED BOLT ACTION RIFLE WITH LEUPOLD SCOPE. - James D. Julia, Auctioneers

Left Handed Gun (good selection of Tikkas among others)

·
Registered
38 Posts
One other good choice is a ruger single six convertible 22\22mag. The 22 mag. is potent medicine for small critters. I have taken a good number of deer on my reservation with that little round when that's all I had. Treasure the time with your dad, mine has taken his journey already. Good luck

·
Registered
150 Posts
Have you thought about something like this:

or

It's a little non-standard, but may serve both purposes. If I move back to AK, I"m getting something like this for backpacking.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey thanks for all the great replies everyone. I've actually been visiting the 'Rents for the weekend and heading home tomorrow. Bad service there and a great excuse to put the phone down and ignore the world.

I'm drawn to .357 because of lightness and commonality but 44 mag is seeming like a better option every day. Is .44 a good reloading cartridge? And what about revolvers? I'm continuously surprised at how little recoil I experience after reading online and talking to people who try to scare you into thinking certain rounds are going to be like artillery. I've never fired .44 though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts