1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Nice, but make mine the GI version. :)

Steve, you reminded me of the end of The Untouchables where the reporter said "they just repealed Prohibition; what are you gonna do" and Kevin Kostner said "I'll probably have a drink". :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice. Has anyone else seen a pic ''out there' of crates of Thompsons said to be Russian from post-WWII ? They were packed on two levels, side by side. I guess thats another US arm we can't have back.

Do they de-mill and send in Parts kits? Are there makers of good recv'rs. for the (?) kits?

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
Nice pictures!! I wish I had a way to post some pictures, it appears we have a number of similar interests, if you know what I mean.

Federal

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thompsons in Russia

Turq, I have seen these pictures on the Thompson Board. I believe it was said that the Russians aquired them from Lend Lease or something like that. We lent them, I wonder if we could lease them back.(99 year lease, provisions for 99 year extension)....Mike

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
This is one of my Thompsons, which is a Model 28 that went over on the Lend Lease program. Somehow it found its way back, all legally and is fully transferable. :D :D :D Now that Hawk has straightened me out on how to post pictures I can't resist.

http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v163/FederalBill/Tom_1_Bob01.jpg

Six, someday we have to comepare notes. :p :p

http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v163/FederalBill/Tom_1_Bob03.jpg

Hope yall like these. :wink: :wink:

We also have a couple of pictures of Tatonka with this one, but odds are no one will ever see those because he's camera shy. O:) O:) O:)

-

·
Registered
814 Posts
Federal,
That is a nice Brit Thompson! Did the Brits mill the bottom of your bolt so the safety can be applied without cocking the actuator? And is it early enough to have the flat milled ejector and the early checkered safety?
Carey

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
leid said:
Federal,
That is a nice Brit Thompson! Did the Brits mill the bottom of your bolt so the safety can be applied without cocking the actuator? And is it early enough to have the flat milled ejector and the early checkered safety?
Carey

Nothing got messed with and the ejector is screw in. Safety was not messed with either. Great little toy. :D :D :D

·
Registered
814 Posts
Federal,
I am a member of the Thompson Collectors Association and have Colt & Savage TSMGs. The British TSMGs were made by Savage very early on and some had unique parts.
Some had flat milled Colt-type ejectors instead of the later riveted type ejectors. These milled ejectors are possibly left overs from the early Colt TSMGs that Savage stamped an "S" on. I showed one to Dennis Todd at Knob Creek last year. He had never seen one before and had doubts as to their existence. And some Brit TSMGs had a checkered safety levers instead of smooth. They are not checkered as extensively as the Colt safety levers and are therefore probably unique to early military '28s & '28A1s. I have one of these "S" marked checkered safety levers on a returned Lend-Lease frame.
If your Brit L-L TSMG has any of these features, be careful with them. They are hard (expensive!) to replace.
Have a Happy & Safe 4th!
Carey
U.S. 1928A1 Savage made 01/42
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/leid/42SavageU.jpg
Colt 1921AC #6450 & Colt "C" drum #86
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/leid/Colt1921ACNO6450ColtCdrumNO.jpg

Edit: photos added

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
The only distinctive mark that I have is it is stamped "TOMMY GUN" on the top of the reciever. I'm certainly not as versed as you are but my other 28 is the same except the horizontal fore grip and no markings. My 21 was one of uncle Al's and is plane Jane.

-

·
Registered
814 Posts
Federal,
The "Tommy Gun" marked Thompsons are very desirable, so you have a keeper. Glad you have one of Al's choppers. They are beautiful pieces of American history.
Carey

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
leid said:
The "Tommy Gun" marked Thompsons are very desirable, so you have a keeper.

They are all keepers. :D :D :D Never sold a gun in all my life, gave two away in Africa, and have not traded any either. Once I get them I keep them. :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.