M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
NSR
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Just pulled Celia out of the safe and did a cursory cleaning. Just getting ready for the Three Amigos Saturday shoot. That's right, Phil, TonyBen, and yours truly are going to the range, in Wren, OR, again. Of course there will be the obligatory meal after at The Washington St. Steak House/Pub. Don't know if we go to shoot or watch Phil(the foodie) pack it away afterwards.
I've been neglecting Celia Phayte and I'm going to fix that Saturday. I've got my accuracy load all set and ready to go. The plan is to get some serious groups out of Celia and have some general fun times with the guys. We are all taking bolt guns, too. Should be a blast.
Of course we will report back(with pictures) so you can see our results/progress.
Let me know if there is anything in particular you want pics of or results you want to see/share.

Semper Fi,

Wes

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Good luck. I hope yall can best Tony's tiny groups! It will be fun just trying to. He must be cheating to be so good!! Let us know for sure.

Of coarse, just kidding. He builds a mean rifle,

·
NSR
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gents,

I've witnessed Tony's groups a number of times. That's what young eyes and a steady hand can do for you.
Of course I've wanted to check the Butts, several times, for his accomplice with the .30 caliber ink pen...;-)

I'm really lucky to have a 'smith of Tony's caliber(pun intended) living so close to me. Even better that I can call him a friend AND a shooting buddy...

Wes

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
It was a great day, indeed. We had so many guns, we couldn't shoot them all. Wes was a great host and it was actually the Three and a Half Amigos. My son decided to hang with us the whole day. Oddly enough, we started the day with nothing but precision bolt guns. Wes' GA precision, Phil's M40 and my Savage heavy barrel. All shooting 308 and all shooting sub-MOA consistently. All of them were bedded into McMillan stocks. After shooting theirs, I have realized I need some serious trigger work on my Savage. Mine is heavy at probably 3 or 4 pounds while theirs were in the 2 pound range.

Wes shooting Celia Phayte.

I did have a minor lapse in judgement though. As you can see in the picture, my 10 year old son was behind the Savage. he insisted he wanted to shoot it since he's been shooting AR's recently. I didn't think anything of it and my son was eager, yet apprehensive. I assumed him that "I wouldn't let you shoot something that would hurt you." I somehow overlooked the fact that he was soft shouldering the rifle. BANG! The rifle bucked back and the scope popped him right in the forehead! He covered his face and kicked his legs for a few moments. After he removed his hands, I was expecting blood or a cut. Luckily, he just had a knot on his head.

He didn't let that stop him though and after a few minutes he was back behind the rifle, this time with the stock firmly in his shoulder. He fired a few rounds and managed not to let himself get knocked in the head anymore with the scope. A good learning experience, I suppose! He was ringing the gong at 200 with ease.

Tony.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Looks like a good time was had by all, bump included. Don't worry Dad, been there done that. Glad he was able to power through!

·
Registered
105 Posts
That looks like a blast. Some of my best memories are of going shooting with my son. It usually just turned into a bit of shooting combined with exploring some backroads. He’s pretty busy these days and it doesn’t happen much anymore...

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,171 Posts
Looks like a great day. It has been way too hot to shoot out here, been 105 - 111. So I have to live my shooting life through you guys. :cool:

I need an aftermarket trigger for my FN SPR, a Timney or Jewell. Mine is the same, just too heavy for me even though it has a crisp letoff. I might have to talk to TonyBen about doing it and skim bed if it needs it.
m14brian

·
Super Moderator
10,989 Posts
Im really surprised that other forum members don't get together and meet up, we can't be the only ones or are we?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Im really surprised that other forum members don't get together and meet up, we can't be the only ones or are we?
Everyone in my profile pic was on this forum back when it was the M14 forum.
Ive also met XXIV corps,NF1E,rickgman,busted knuckles,rifleman m14brian, wags2161,tnw50cal, oldsarge bunch of others that i am forgetting.

The new owners suck and caused 95% of the members to leave. I refuse to go over to the other board. And never will.

Reactions: tonyben

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,171 Posts
We tried to arrange a SoCal meetup type thing 4 or 5 years ago and it was a disaster. Most guys wanted a leader or main guy to organize it and nobody volunteered and I was asked by a few and I would've done it but I am the furthest from L.A. and Orange County so that doesn't make any sense. I am 2 1/2 hours from there on a good day. A few guys said they would go if I would go, meaning I would have to go pick them up on the way. Some weren't necessarily fond of other SoCal guys. Some guys are loners or don't really want to be in a group. Some seem too cool for school, they're already shooting competitions so why hang out with non match shooters. Some only wanted to go to the range they were used to so no one could agree on a single range even though they are all within driving distance. A few guys got banned along the way in the few months of discussing a meet. Not enough people could agree on which days to meet, some work weekends and some don't. I am close with a few guys down here and it would be cool to do something, but it would be small and I can't drive 2 1/2 hours one way every time all the time. No one is going to drive 2 1/2 hours one way either to come out to The Stumps, well maybe my friend PFC Thomas once in a while, but no one else will come out here unless they're stationed at MCAGCC or teaching there, so I'd rarely be able to meet up. A few friends that PFC Thomas brought were good guys but are from out of the area or honestly very busy. I hung out with Beavis1971 once and he was cool and would be good to go in a group but he's 3 1/2 hours from me. I hang out with MikeM0331 sometimes as well just us but it seems too difficult with schedules or there's too many miles between everyone to get a group together down here.

I was born in Portland, I want to be an honorary member of the Oregon Contingent. It's good what you guys have, you guys just meet up, shoot, hang out, and then do it again. I don't know...
m14brian

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Well done gentlemen.

If you haven't gotten at least one or two optic smacks in the eyebrow area, you are not shooting enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts