M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this subject has been beaten to death, but I've been mad since I read an article this morning and decided to vent.

There is an article in the new SAR about how the Swedish, even though they now use a 5.56 rifle, have modernized and refurbished all of their older 7.62x51mm rifles. Some of these are being reissued on a limited basis, THE REST ARE BEING PUT AWAY INTO STORAGE IN AS-NEW CONDITION JUST IN CASE!

Funny how the Swedish government (whose soldiers keep their weapons at home!) chose to take weapons, that were bought and paid for by taxpayers, and use them in a manner that will benefit national security. But on the other hand our government, when faced with the same circumstances, chooses to destroy perfectly serviceable weapons that were paid for by taxpayers.

Sounds like somebody in Washington could take a few lessons from theirr counterparts in Sweden!

Dave

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chuck S said:
I know Swiss soldiers keep their weapons at home. I was unaware the Swedes did as well. You sure?

-- Chuck
Well, that's what I thought too. But I'm only telling you what the article states.

Quote from the article: "In the Swedish tradition of a "Home Guard", the time-honored citizen-soldier tradition, these bolt-action Mausers were issued to the men of Sweden and kept in their homes."

And later: "These selective-fire weapons were issued to the Home Guard in exchange for the old Mauser M96 bolt-action rifles, and the Swedish countryside was then armed to the nines with a full-sized selective-fire battle rifle."

Later still: "The Swedish Home Guard requires that the soldier keep his AK4 in a disassembled state........."

Caption from a picture: " The AK4s that were in the private homes of the Swedish Home Guard........."

The article is by Dan Shea.

Dave

·
Registered
545 Posts
dz86

I think the US Govt has the mentality that "We dont trust you if you arent on the payroll". I dont see the big deal with having an honorably discharged service member being able to opt for buying his service rifle or TO weapon, what ever it is for use in the home gaurd if he's called up after his dicharge, but then coherent thought and rationalization dont seem to be the FED's strong suits.

Just my .02

RRVI

·
Registered
65 Posts
Red River Six.
Trouble with that is that most Armys issue the troops a weapon that goes with them all of the time. We issue weapons to the unit and the unit assigns the weapon to the individual, and a lot of units do not have weapons, or at least enough weapons to issue to each soldier, frightening is it not? But if I had the option to buy my weapon I would have about three M-14's and six M-16's, Hummmm that may not be such a bad idea.
Jumper

·
Banned
296 Posts
In the USA the PEOPLE are the home guard, at least thats what the 2nd amendment is supposed to mean.

They should be selling ALL surplus small arms to us (at suplus rates) first.

I know, I know, that just makes to much sense. :cry:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Jumper
Your right about some units not having enough weapons for all of the personal. In the 44th Ordnance, 30th Arty Bde we had 250 M14's for 500 people. I guess the idea is that when your comrad falls you pick up his weapon and carry on the fight. Must have learned that one from the Chinese during the Korean War.

RedRiverSix
Your right about the Govt not trusting GI's with weapons. How many of you were ever on guard duty without ammo for your weapon.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oxmix,
Back in the dawn ages of time when I was with FA we a least had enough weapons to go around, mabe the Clinton era decided to go with the Chinese method, where I am at we have 250 with 25 weapons, makes life interesting.
Jumper

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know Swiss soldiers keep their weapons at home. I was unaware the Swedes did as well. You sure?
Norway works the same way.You must do a year of military service, and you can keep your rifle(HK G3 at the time I was over there) at your home.

My exwife's cousin was doing his year of military service and brought out his issued G3 for me to check out. :D

SKBY.

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
You have to remember that the last time we were invaded by a serious threat was in 1812. Americans have grown quite complacent about the possibility of invasion. The Scvandinavian and European countries don't have 1800 miles of ocean seperating them from historically voracious countries, and have been invaded repeatedly, the last time in the 1940's, with the very real possibility up until the late 1980's.

Without a very real threat looming on the horizon, it's all too easy to get into the mode we're in. Wouldn't want to upset the populace by even suggesting that our shores aren't sacrosanct. Then again, with the investment into our military that we have, the politically important couldn't live with the idea that there might be a situation that calls for a Home Guard. That might require that they get off of their collective oversized butts and actually shoulder some true responsibility. 8O :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.