M14 Forum banner

This M1A can hunt

1822 8
Just returned from hunting. Hunting was slow but the SA M1A did it's job. As I was approaching one of my stands after a good walk with pack, I spotted a doe 90 yards away. I fired standing, offhand with pack on my back and she dropped in her tracks. The load was IMR 4895 and 165gr Nosler B.T. at 2600 fps. Bullet performance was great. Went and checked her, got a little blood on my stock, sure hope SixTGunr don't get mad at me.

Afterward, I got up in my stand and spent rest of day. While setting in my stand, I came to a few conclusiions about hunting with the m1a/m14.
One is the magazine. It and shooting rails doesn't mix too well, one seemed to always be in the way of the other.

When it started to rain, all I could think about was all the parts and hard to reach places getting wet.

Also, I feel the rubber recoil pad would be better at hunting than the metal military buttplate. The rubber pad sticks to my shoulder better. The miltary buttplate, in my opinion, would stay on shoulder better without the cleaning kit in. I like to keep rifle balanced across shooting rail and shoulder. The deer I hunt are not like the ones I see on TV hunting programs, giving time for hunter to pick up rifle and make shot after talking for 15 minutes.

Any comments or solutions to above minor annoyances above? Overall I enjoyed hunting with the m1a and will do it again, but as of now, my Model 70 300 mag and my 257 weatherby mag are hard to beat.

For a couple days prior to gun season, I hunted with black powder and got another doe. Lost one real nice buck with muzzle loader, the best I've seen in 4 or 5 years. Knocked him down and couldn't find. Blood trail simply played out. Hate it.

Joe A.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I wonder if there's a way you could slip a rubber pad over the flip up part--like a pair of goloshes. Maybe paint the thing with that rubber grip stuff and peel it off after the seaons over.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,620 Posts
I bough a few 5 & 10 rounders a while back. For hunting or just plinking I use them more than the twenty rounders. The friction tape sounds like a quik fix, although the doe wouldn't have noticed any difference :) . Sounds like you'll be having steak & eggs for a while.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I tried the friction tape on a Glock 21 and also on the pistol grip on a speed feed shotgun stock after a bit of use I decided the cons outweighed the pros and took it all off. My wife still thinks its great on her Glock 30.The biggest con was the tape did not want to stay on, then it was a bear to get it off. It would not make up its mind :roll:
Just food for thought
SHADOW

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hey Joe

Way to go, meat in the freezer is a great way to welcome winter.
Tried the 5 rd. mag. , replaced the follower with a GI one and it worked a lot better. Don't remember who the maker of the mag. was, USA I think.

Pachmayr makes a rubber slip-on pad, it's for shotguns but it should fit on the butt. You might try removing the bullplate before putting the pad on it,
it might be a better fit. Worth a try.

They also make lace-on leather pad, the shotgunners like those. Well that's my two ideas for today, I hope they were helpful.

I believe Midway has those pads, if your local shop doesn't. HTH

·
Banned
572 Posts
My M14 is all I ever hunt with. Glad to hear you enjoyed it too. I actually prefer the flip up plate. I lay prone for hours on end sometimes and I rest the flip up part on my shoulder and just lay there at the ready. The rifle sights never get far from my eye.

Why are you worried about water getting in? The rifle was meant to be taken apart. Mine is bedded and I take it apart evertime it goes out. It doesn't hurt it if it was bedded right with modern materials. Not at all!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
M14DAN,

I'll try the flip-plate the next time. Didn't even occur to me to try it.

About the water, you're right about taking down and cleaning. Just that by time I get back to camp, supper, etc., I'm ready to hit the sleeping bag. I'm used to my Model 70 stainless, all I do is tape the end of barrel and occassionally turn rifle bottom side up to pour water out of action and barreil channel and give it a good cleaning when I return home.

Thanks,

Joe A.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.