M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
5,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.stripes.com/news/marine-corps/former-marine-cpl-kyle-carpenter-to-be-awarded-the-medal-of-honor-1.283944

I apologize if it has been posted here prior as my forum kung fu (search for it) didn't yield anything about it.

This young man is a PRIME EXAMPLE of why I served our country and why I truly love it still (despite all my slandering of it over recent years).

You Marines have a good fellow here. If ever any of you meet him in person please do pass along my personal thank you and give him a "Godspeed" for me please.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Thanks for the post.

As Marines, we were taught from boot camp on not to jump on a grenade but to quickly throw it back in the direction from which it came. In a prepared position, there was usually a grenade sump or a small, deep hole in the bottom that a live grenade could be kicked into. Even if throwing it back resulted in an air burst, the chance of serious or fatal wounds was greatly minimized. According to my superiors, this was SOP since at least WWII. Also, the practice of wearing both ribbons and medals on dress blues is new to me, but so is much else in today's Corps.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
The reasons behind our training were intended to teach reactions to situations that would most likely preserve a Marine's fighting ability as well as that of the rest of his unit. The pursuit of higher callings is a matter for the chaplains because if everyone reacted to tactical situations on an individual basis, any unit from a rifle squad on up would have no cohesiveness and their combat effectiveness would become severely impaired. As I recall, a dead Marine became a supply problem and the effectiveness of his unit was reduced by one, but a seriously wounded Marine reduced the unit by a factor of three to four.

There is no higher calling in this world than to give one's life to save others but to a trained Marine, that is a last resort - not the first.

Semper Fi,

'61-'65

·
Registered
778 Posts
On Iwo Jima there were several Medal of Honor reciepients awarded posthumously to young Marines falling on grenades to save their buddies. I'm just a civilian but my Dad was a Marine and I grew up listening about the Corps and the special bond among the men for the
other Marines. Whether that is instilled from the Corps or it just develops because of the fact that you are a Marine I do not know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would agree with the guy who said falling on a grenade is instinctive, not trained. I would also agree about the training Marines and Army were taught in previous wars. Digging fighting positions, DuPuy foxholes, etc complete with grenade sumps is sort of a lost art. Maybe because everything is more mobile, offense oriented.

Just a pet peeve of mine. The term "once a Marine, always a Marine" I would definitely agree with. Marines are "made" at PI and MCRD San Diego, I do not agree with. IMO, Marines are born. They regroup in the USMC. They may have attitude adjustments while on active duty, but they came into the Marines with the basic attitude and desire to be a Marine. That service structure which is part of the Department of the Navy known as the USMC does not MAKE Marines, Marines MAKE the USMC.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Thanks for the post.

As Marines, we were taught from boot camp on not to jump on a grenade but to quickly throw it back in the direction from which it came. In a prepared position, there was usually a grenade sump or a small, deep hole in the bottom that a live grenade could be kicked into. Even if throwing it back resulted in an air burst, the chance of serious or fatal wounds was greatly minimized. According to my superiors, this was SOP since at least WWII. Also, the practice of wearing both ribbons and medals on dress blues is new to me, but so is much else in today's Corps.
those were the class a dress uniform.. with medals. the awards that dont have medals have ribbons which are worn on the opposite side. without shooting badges.

the class b dress are worn with shooting badges and ribbons only, no medals...

·
Registered
401 Posts
This young Marine

is a fraternity brother of my grandson and I have had the honor of meeting him before he got the CG and after he got it...he hasn't changed a bit. He is a good to go young man with balls of brass(or steel) and is so well adjusted to his place in life that it makes you wonder how he got to where he is instead of being some ahole protestor that wants a check in the mail.

To any who doubt his "Marineness" ....well, doubt on! There was no "training at P.I." or any other place in the Corps that makes a man this kind of special.
He has not only "seen the elephant" but climbed on it's back...to ride the elephant as he did makes him a very special person indeed !

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
the practice of wearing both ribbons and medals on dress blues is new to me
That's been the regs since at least 1975 (when I joined).

MCO P1020.34F para 5202
When large medals are worn, all unit citations and other ribbons with no medal authorized will be worn centered over the right breast pocket, the bottom edge of the lower row 1/8 inch above the top of the pocket.

Reactions: wags2161

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this one of the first medals of honor awarded to a surviving serviceman? I thought that all the ones awarded during the afghanistan and Iraq wars were all posthumously awarded? This is an amazing story and I'm sure that there are many more stories of valor like these that have not been told or ever will be told from today's conflicts. God bless our service men and women!!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
There have been many given to living servicemen since the second half of the 19th century. On active duty, wearers were few and very far between. I did meet Gunny Vernon in '68 but I was already out by then. Bronze star bearers without Vs from WWII and Korea were fairly common but silver stars and above got a lot of respect.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
Joined Sept. 75
Broken time from 85 - 89
Went back in Dec. 1989
Retired April 1, 2000

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dress Blue "Alpha" has medals and ribbons on the right chest that do not have a corresponding medal. Something like the Combat Action Ribbon and Sea Service Deployment would all be worn in this manner.

Will-

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
I love the Marines too!

I really fear for them in the days ahead though. I really, really don't like that idiot they have for a commander in chief in the Whitehouse. You can call me a bigot and a 'phobe ... but I don't think mainstreaming sexual deviants and women into their combat roles is a good idea. And of course, they will no doubt see budget cuts in the days ahead that can only hurt too.

Oh, I know that's all just politics, and that those Green Bean Marines have been improvising, adapting and overcoming long before I was born...but I look at some obstacles being raised before them and the men that are doing it...and I grow uneasy. What happens when the biggest threat to your Constitution are the civilians and political leaders you have sworn to protect? And I know it's not THAT bad....yet. Can enough obstacles be raised that even the Marines can't prevail?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I wonder if he would be thrown out of KFC because he is 'scaring the customers'?

·
Registered
749 Posts
While talking with the president, I'm told that Cpl Carpenter confided that "the girls love my scars". WHAT COURAGE! God bless you, son, as you are the kind of man that MADE this country. We're ALL PROUD of you!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts